Police Officer I/II
The City of Wasilla is currently recruiting applicants for the position of Police Officer II in the Police Department. This is a non-exempt, full-time position with benefits. Law enforcement personnel are employees who are empowered by State or local ordinance to enforce laws designed to maintain peace and order, protect life and property, and to prevent and detect crimes; who have the power to arrest; and who have undergone training in law enforcement. Police Officer’s are responsible for the maintenance of law and order within the city limits of Wasilla. The mission of a Police Officer is to protect and serve the community within the confines of the law. Successful applicants must be willing and able to work all shifts: day, evening, nights, including holidays, weekends, and overtime.
12/3/2021 at 5:00 PM Alaska
• Primary responder to initial calls for assistance, public safety needs, and emergencies. Render aid and assistance to victims and the public.
• Patrol city limits, identify public safety hazards, prevent the commission of crimes, conduct business and residential security checks and actively seek out violators of the law.
• Issue “warnings” and conduct arrests of citizens in violation of the law according to general guidelines provided by law and department policy.
• Investigate traffic accidents and reported violations of the law.
• Locate and interview witnesses, collect evidence and write detailed, accurate incident and/or crime reports.
• Serve as a positive community role model to inspire voluntary cooperation and respect for the department's law enforcement and crime prevention programs.
• Enforce federal, state and local laws consistent with legal code and in a fair manner, without regard to race, creed, social standing, economic class, political, or religious affiliation.
• Interpret and uphold City ordinances.
• Assist other public safety agencies as needed or on an assigned basis.
• May be assigned other duties by the ranking officer and/or the Chief of Police.
• Home Land Security orientation tests (Incident Command Systems) will be required as a term of employment taken on-line: Entry level IS-100.b within 15 days of date hired and IS-200.b, IS-700.a, and IS-800.b within 45 days of date of hire.
Successful applicants must have a high school diploma or equivalent, be at least 21 years of age at time of hire, and have a valid State of Alaska Driver’s License. Additional qualifications required by the Alaska Police Standards Council (APSC) include, but are not limited to, a background investigation, physical agility test, physical examination, polygraph, written and verbal psychological examinations, drug screen, and oral board interview. More information can be found on the APSC website at https://dps.alaska.gov/Home.
Police Officer I:
Experience and/or Education:
• Ability to type at a net speed of 35 words per minute.
• Possess demonstrated prior work history in positions requiring reliability, honesty, and the ability to work with others in a variety of situations.
• This entry level position must attend a training academy either in Anchorage or Sitka.
• Must be able to obtain a Basic Police Officer Certificate, and complete field training through the Wasilla Police Department.
Police Officer II:
Experience and/or Education:
• Meet Alaska Police Standards Council requirements for Police Officer.
• Meets the requirements for Police Officer I
• Two years or more of experience in law enforcement as a state trooper or municipal police officer
• In certain assignments, may be required to attend additional training, show, or obtain certifications relating to specific job functions.
• Must be eligible for lateral certification through APSC, and complete field training through the Wasilla Police Department.