Police Officer I/II
- Police Officer I – $24.95/hour.
- Police Officer II – $26.20/ hour.
The Gaston County Police Department was created by Legislative Act on July 1, 1957 and began operation with a chief, a secretary and 23 sworn officers. At that time the Department was primarily responsible for providing police service to the unincorporated areas of the county. Since that time, however, additional duties and responsibilities have been given to the Gaston County Police. Today, the Department employs 153 sworn officers who provide police services to a community of approximately 90,000 residents and spanning an area of over 270 square miles that along with the unincorporated areas of Gaston County also includes providing police services to the incorporated towns of High Shoals and Spencer Mountain.
- Performs various duties assigned including uniformed patrol of unincorporated areas of the County, traffic enforcement, accident investigations, preliminary investigations of crime scenes, undercover investigation and provides drug and crime prevention programs to individuals and public groups.
- Places individuals under arrest and testifies in court proceedings.
- Initiates and completes records of actions taken and enters data in manual and/or computerized police record management systems.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree is required.
- A course of study in Criminal Justice or other field of study related to police work is desired.
- Applications will be accepted from candidates who are anticipating graduation. Candidates may be hired prior to graduation; however, permanent employee status will not be obtained until the degree is received.
- Must be at least twenty (20) years of age.
- have the ability to obtain a N.C.
- Drivers License without restrictions, and agree to relocate to Gaston County or one of the surrounding counties (Mecklenburg, Lincoln, Cleveland, or York County, SC) at the time of employment.
- The candidate selected must undergo and pass a drug screening test prior to employment.