Police Officer I
The Fairfax County Police Department (FCPD) is looking for individuals to join our team to provide law enforcement and public safety services to the community in Fairfax County.
$53,172.08 – $86,613.70 Annually
• Acts to enforce criminal laws, traffic regulations and maintain public order.
• Patrol designated area utilizing police vehicles.
• Conducts criminal and vehicle accident investigations.
• Effects arrests and testifies in court.
• Knowledge of modern methods and practices of criminal investigation and identification.
• Knowledge of departmental rules and regulations.
• Knowledge of the geography of the county.
• Skilled in the use of firearms.
• Ability to effectively communicate with persons of all ages and walks of life.
• Ability to remember names, faces, and details.
• Ability to comprehend and execute complex oral and written directions.
• Ability to exercise good judgment in stressful situations.
• Good physical condition.
• Keen sense of observation.
• Ability to maintain a high level of ethical standards.
• Ability to demonstrate a high level of integrity at all times.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to high school graduation or a GED issued by a state department of education. Successful completion of police recruit training. Possession of a valid motor vehicle driver's license at the time of appointment. By the end of the probationary period, must obtain the following: Certification as a Law Enforcement Officer by the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services; Certification in the Virginia Crime Information Network (VCIN); Certification in firearms proficiency.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
• Must be a citizen of the United States;
• Must be 20 years old, or within 180 days of 21 st birthday at the time of application, or currently a Police Cadet and within 180 days of 21 st birthday;
• Must successfully complete a criminal background investigation, a polygraph examination, a psychological examination, and a physical ability test prior to appointment;
• Applicants selected must be able to obtain a Class A medical rating in the assigned medical group prior to starting work; Must be able to perform essential job functions (reasonable accommodation may be made on a case-by-case basis);
• Must have never committed, been involved in, or been convicted of, a felony or serious misdemeanor;
• Must be of good character and reputation;
• Incumbents shall not use any tobacco products on and off duty starting at the time of appointment. The incumbent must be willing to sign a Condition of Employment Agreement acknowledging the prohibition of the use of tobacco products both on and off duty.
Subsequent to a conditional job offer, applicants must complete a comprehensive medical examination, including drug testing and a vision standard not worse than 20/200, provided there have been at least three months of success wearing soft contact lenses. Must be able to perform essential job functions (reasonable accommodation may be made on a case-by-case basis).
• Associate or higher degree in law enforcement, public administration or related field from an accredited university or college.
• Prior law enforcement or military experience.
• Current law enforcement officer certification in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
• Professional working proficiency, or higher, in a foreign language or American Sign Language. Proficiency level to be evaluated.