Police Officer I
$56,697.06 – $96,971.47 Annually
$15,000 Sign-on BONUS*
The Fairfax County Police Department (FCPD) is looking for individuals
to join our team to provide law enforcement and public safety services to the community in Fairfax County.
* This position includes a signing bonus for fully qualified new county employees in the amount of $15,000.
(The illustrative duties listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all-inclusive list. A complete list of position duties and unique physical requirements can be found in the position job description.)
- Patrols an assigned area of the county by car or foot to maintain law and order;
- Responds to emergencies as directed by mobile display terminal, radio, or telephone;
- Investigates unusual or suspicious conditions, traffic accidents, or incidents;
- Makes arrests and maintains custody of those arrested;
- Interviews suspects;
- Testifies in court;
- Prepares reports on investigations, offenses, arrests, and activities;
- Investigates a wide variety of criminal offenses, including larceny, auto theft, and fraud;
- Participates in investigations of rape and homicide;
- As assigned, participates in specialized vice and alcoholic beverage violation investigations and raids, ascertains information, or secures evidence for the arrest of suspects, and searches for and apprehends criminal offenders.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to:
High school graduation or a GED issued by a state department of education.
Successful completion of police recruit training.
Possession of a valid motor vehicle driver’s license at the time of appointment.
By the end of the probationary period, must obtain the following:
Certification as a Law Enforcement Officer by the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services; Certification in the Virginia Crime Information Network (VCIN);
Certification in firearms proficiency.
- Associate or higher degree, or at least 60 credit hours towards a degree, from an accredited university or college.
- Prior law enforcement or military experience.
- Current law enforcement officer certification in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Professional working proficiency, or higher, in a foreign language or American Sign Language. Proficiency level to be evaluated.