Police Officer I
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The purpose of this position is to perform protective service work involving a variety of general or support duty police assignments. Work is frequently performed under emergency situations and involves considerable personal hazard and danger.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
1. Patrols city, responds to service requests; enforces laws and ordinances; makes arrests, testifies in court; prepares records and files.
2. Seeks solution to possible problem before event occurs.
3. Pursue offenders on foot and or in a vehicle; use judgment in amount and type of force used.
4. Performs CPR, First Aid, and use AED equipment as needed.
5. On an assigned shift, operates a patrol vehicle to observe for violations of traffic laws, suspicious activities or persons and disturbances of law and order.
6. Responds to radio dispatches and answers calls and complaints.
7. Issues citations for traffic violations.
8. Serves warrants and makes arrests and testifies in court.
9. Provides police escorts, directs traffic; performs residential and commercial checks.
10. Fills out arrest records, fingerprints, photographs, and other similar materials; performs prisoner security functions; investigates traffic accidents, crimes reported; develop possible suspects to bring outstanding cases to closure.
11. Reports unsafe conditions existing in street or other public facilities.
12. Assists with criminal investigations, conducts stakeouts, assists with presenting evidence, interviewing victims and witnesses, and performs property and evidence duties.
13. Prepares detailed reports on activities and assignments.
14. Inspects vehicles and notifies garage of defective patrol units.
15. May be required to perform in-charge duties in the absence of a superior officer.
16. Participates in a variety of in-service training programs.
17. May be assigned to crime prevention, community policing/bike patrol, field training, special operations, technical support or investigation operation.
18. May be required to work overtime and/or be on call and to be able to respond to emergencies within a reasonable time.
19. Performs other duties as required.
• Successful completion of the Police Academy and Field Training and one (1) year of full-time experience as a Police Officer or similar position.
• Must be P.O.S.T. Certified.
• Must meet Minimum Standards Law (TCA 38-8-106) requirements.
• Must be a citizen of the United States, at least 21 years of age and meet the physical, psychological and criminal records and other standards for the assignment established by the Gallatin Police Department.
• CPR certified.
• AED certified.
• SFST certified.
• Proficiency in report/police software.
• TASER certified.
• CCIC/NCIC certified.
• Must have a valid driver’s license.