Police Officer I
Performs responsible protective service work in the prevention, detection and investigation of violations of the law; performs related work as required. Work may include assignment to special duty such as Impact Team, traffic, field investigations, criminal investigations, K-9, etc.
Work is performed under the regular supervision of a Police Sergeant.
- Patrols designated sector in assigned car; observes activity and intervenes as necessary; checks the physical security of businesses, homes, cars, etc.; gets out of car and closely inspects buildings; establishes contact with citizens for public relations.
- Enforces traffic laws; patrols or conducts stationary observation of traffic; utilizes radar to detect speed violations; stops suspicious vehicles for investigation; issues warnings, citations, and arrests for violations; uses standard field sobriety tests to determine impairment.
- Serves criminal summons, subpoenas, and warrants in assigned jurisdiction; makes arrests and transports suspects to the public safety center for processing.
- Responds to domestic violence incidences; provides assistance to reduce the risk of additional violence; conducts investigation if necessary.
- Responds to robbery calls; assesses crime scenes and calls for assistance; secures the crime scenes and interviews witnesses; apprehends suspects.
- Investigates accidents; gathers appropriate information and fills out reports; draws diagrams; charges drivers as necessary; calls wreckers, rescue personnel, utility companies as necessary.
- Conducts detailed investigation of crimes.
- Provides service to the public; advises citizens on departmental procedures and options available.
- Testifies in court on arrests made; presents evidence collected.
- Completes necessary reports for all actions taken and submits to lieutenant for review.
- Directs traffic as needed at traffic accidents and other incidents.
- Prepares and delivers crime prevention and traffic safety talks.
- May serve as field training officer (FTO).
- Performs other job-related tasks as required.