Police Officer I
Salary Range $50,000 – $58.000
Primary Purpose of Position
This position performs law enforcement work at a University campus or other State facility. With full powers of arrest, positions enforce the laws of the State and the United States Government. Positions have law enforcement authority ranging from traffic control to criminal investigations within a limited geographic jurisdiction. Work involves patrolling an assigned area for response to complaints or calls and for detection of violations in the enforcement of State laws and applicable regulations. Duties include apprehending observed violators committing offenses, investigating violations or complaints in order to assess and handle cases, collection and preservation of evidence and the chain of custody, testifying in court proceedings and performing related work.
Summary of Position Responsibilities
- Protects life and property through the enforcement of laws and regulations.
- Conducts preliminary and follow-up criminal investigations.
- Conducts detentions, interviews and arrests in accordance with the law and departmental directives.
- Communicates with others by vocal and written means. Relays clear, intelligible messages through proper words and body language.
- Complies with all departmental directives and university policies. Completes all assigned tasks and duties.
- Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate.
Preferred Education, Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- A minimum of an associate degree is preferred in conjunction with experience in the law enforcement field and or military service.
- Certification as a Law Enforcement Officer in accordance with the provisions of the North Carolina Criminal Justice Training and Standards Commission. Must possess a valid state-issued vehicle operator’s license.