Police Officer (Experienced
This position serves as a law enforcement officer for the University and also supervises non-sworn Public Safety employees.
1. Provide Security and Law Enforcement Service to the University:
a. Day-to-day law enforcement and security operations including but not limited to:
Directed foot patrols with a community oriented focus
Vehicle patrols of campus area
Investigation and enforcement of violations of state law, local ordinance, or University regulations
Thorough documentation (report writing) of investigative and enforcement activities
Security staffing of special events and programs
Life safety checks of campus buildings and systems
Securing and un-securing of campus buildings and classrooms
Enforcement of University rules and regulations
Maintain secure control of lost and found or evidentiary items
Act as a first responder in crisis situations, including medical emergencies
Respond and check fire, burglar, and duress alarms on campus property
Provide safety escorts to campus community members as needed
Relieve officers assigned as dispatchers as needed
Supervise and train non-sworn Public Safety staff
Establish positive professional relationships with students and other community members
2. Personally perform security/law enforcement operations for major campus events including but not limited to:
a. Football games
b. Men and women’s basketball games
c. Commencement, both winter and spring
d. Large or high profile Kirkland Fine Arts Center events
e. National, State, or conference level sporting events
1. Conduct major case investigations.
2. Assist with case management.
3. Conduct fire drills.
4. Maintain strong liaison with local law enforcement.
5. Instruct campus community on crime prevention and safety.
6. Consult with various campus constituencies on crime and safety matters.
7. Assist HR in employee termination matters.
8. Participate in campus or community emergency preparedness drills.
9. Other duties as assigned.
• High School Diploma or GED; Associates Degree or higher preferred
• 2+ years as a sworn law enforcement officer with a law enforcement department (s).
• Prefer experience in a higher education environment.
• Experience as a Field Training Officer and/or a School Resource Officer is also preferred.
• Required: Certified Law Enforcement Officer (Illinois) or ILETSB waiver eligible equivalent and Valid Driver’s License
• Preferred (not required) certification: Field Training Officer, School Resource Officer
• Hazardous materials awareness
• First Aid/CPR/AED
• Criminal/civil/regulatory investigations
• Strong verbal, written and interpersonal skills
• Ability to organize
• Problem solving
• Attention to detail
• Time management
• Work prioritization to meet deadlines
• Ability to adapt and adjust sometimes on short notice
• Mental toughness to perform and lead during crisis.