Police Officer (Experienced & Academy Graduates)
$86,496.00 – $115,896.00 Annually
The City of Costa Mesa is accepting applications for the position of Police Officer. Interested individuals may apply as an experienced peace officer (current or previously employed) or as a recent Academy Graduate.
- These functions may not be present in all positions in this class. When a position is to be filled, the essential functions will be noted in the announcement of position availability. Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind work assignments as needed.
- Patrols a designated area of the City in a patrol car to preserve law and order, to prevent and discover the commission of crimes, and to enforce traffic regulations; answers calls and complaints involving fire, traffic accidents, robberies, and other misdemeanors and felonies and takes necessary police action; makes arrests.
- Conducts accident investigations and preliminary investigations at the scenes of crimes, administers first aid, gathers evidence, locates and questions witnesses; testifies as a witness in court.
- Performs jailer duties such as processing arrested persons and maintaining security of the jail.
- Performs desk officer duties such as handling telephone calls and visitors, and fingerprinting taxicab drivers, entertainers, and various other persons.
- Patrols various streets, schools, and colleges for parking violations.
- Recovers stolen property, provides information to the public, escorts cars to hospitals, escorts parades and funeral processions.
A typical way to obtain the requisite knowledge and abilities to perform the duties and responsibilities of this classification is as follows
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Graduation from high school or its equivalent; and college course work with an emphasis in police science, social sciences, or a related field is desirable. Age 21 years or older.
LICENSE AND/OR CERTIFICATE:
Class C California Driver’s License. Revocation of license during employment may result in disciplinary action or reassignment.
REQUISITE KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL LEVELS:
Knowledge of: modern police practices and methods; controlling laws and ordinances, particularly the laws of arrest and evidence; the geography of the City; the rules and regulations of the Police Department; and first aid principles.
Skill in the use and care of firearms.