Police Officer – Entry
Salary: $35.54 Hourly.
Port of Portland Police Officers are state certified peace officers who provide law enforcement services primarily at the Portland International Airport and surrounding areas, in compliance with federal aviation regulations.
The police department consists of 61 sworn personnel and five non-sworn staff. In addition to uniform patrol, sworn assignments include detectives, canine handlers (explosive detection and narcotics detection), explosives technicians, Joint Terrorism Task Force, FBI Organized Crime Task Force, and Transit Police positions. Our primary mission, as a proactive law enforcement agency, is to provide for the safety and security of the traveling public, with emphasis on preventing potential terrorist attacks on the aviation industry.
- Responsible for the protection of life and property at Portland International Airport (PDX).
- Patrol a designated area of the Port of Portland in a police patrol vehicle or on foot to deter and discover crime and enforce traffic ordinances.
- Broadcast and receive information on portable radios.
- Respond to reports of possible crime and take action as situation requires.
- Perform the full range of law enforcement and airport security duties.
- Serve warrants or arrests persons on evidence. Arrest suspects, complete incident and arrest reports.
- Issue citations to violators of Port ordinances and state statutes.
- Respond to traffic and other type accidents, administer first aid, interview applicants, complete accident reports, issue citations or makes arrests, etc., as situation warrants. Develop contacts to obtain information about crimes.
- Ensure public convenience and well-being while traveling through airport facilities: Interview persons with complaints or inquiries.
- Give information on laws or ordinances and attempt to resolve the problem.
- Perform required services related to personal security for public officials or threatened persons.
- Provide community services to airport patrons.
- Respond to needs of airport tenants in a prompt and professional manner.
- High school diploma or GED is required.
- A degree in criminal justice, social science or related field is preferred.
- Prior experience in security operations, law enforcement, or a private security settings is preferred.
- Must be a citizen of the United States of America.
- Must possess or be able to obtain a valid driver’s license by hire date.
- Ability to obtain and maintain security clearance for unescorted access to secured areas of the airport.
- Possess combination of physical strength and stamina required to perform physical performance expectations.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.