Police Officer Entry Level/Lateral
Salary: $4,581.31 – $ 5,568.61 Monthly.
Under the direction of a Police Sergeant, perform a variety of law enforcement activities including patrol functions, traffic regulation and the enforcement of City, State and federal laws, codes, ordinances and regulations; respond to and investigate crimes, accidents, emergency situations and other disturbances and requests for assistance; identify, apprehend and arrest criminals.
- Perform a variety of law enforcement activities including patrol functions, traffic regulation and the enforcement of City, State and federal laws, codes, ordinances and regulations; provide a variety of services to safeguard the lives, property and constitutional rights of City citizens and visitors; respond to citizen complaints.
- Patrol the City’s streets, parks and commercial and residential areas; identify traffic violations and suspicious or criminal activities including misdemeanors and felonies; respond to emergency situations and observed or reported harmful or illegal conditions and activities by conducting investigations or taking appropriate action; conduct follow-up investigations as required.
- Detect, apprehend, arrest and transport suspected or convicted criminals; enforce traffic laws; prepare and issue tickets for violations; investigate traffic accidents and determine causes; administer drug and alcohol testing as appropriate; arrange for additional emergency and patrol vehicles as necessary.
- Inspect crime scenes to identify and collect potential and actual evidence; observe, interview and interrogate victims, witnesses and suspects; search suspects for drugs, weapons and other illegal articles; conduct surveillance as required; present evidence and testify in court as requested.
- Respond to a wide variety of calls from citizens in need of first aid, information and general assistance; provide direction or information to individuals or groups for the purpose of preventing, subduing or alleviating harmful, dangerous or illegal situations.
- Prepare a variety of detailed and concise police reports related to crimes, investigations, traffic accidents and assigned activities; maintain records and logs related to daily activities; prepare search warrants and press releases related to criminal activity as assigned by the position.
- Serve as an informational resource to the public concerning law enforcement activities; respond to inquiries and provide detailed and technical information concerning related services, crimes, laws, ordinances, codes, regulations, policies and procedures; provide traffic control at traffic accident scenes, congested areas, schools, and special events.
- Communicate with other law enforcement agencies, City personnel and various outside organizations to exchange information, coordinate activities and resolve issues or concerns; collaborate with other law enforcement agencies in the investigation of various crimes as appropriate.
- Operate and maintain a variety of specialized equipment such as law enforcement vehicles, firearms, handcuffs, leg restraints, batons, flashlights, radars, two-way radios, pepper spray and sirens.
- Provide first aid, CPR and rescue services at crime scenes, accidents and other emergency situations as needed.
- Notify the public of criminal and law enforcement situations and activities as needed; check houses for vacationing citizens as requested; check on the health and welfare of citizens as requested.
- Attend and participate in various meetings and training sessions as assigned; participate in explorer or other assigned special functions and activities as required.
- Monitor hunting activities to ensure hunters possess appropriate licenses as assigned.
- Tow vehicles in response to parking violations as appropriate; assist the public with locked cars as needed.
- Drive a vehicle to conduct work.
- Valid Basic P.O.S.T. certification.
- Valid California Class C driver’s license.
- Valid First Aid and CPR certification.
- Graduation from high school or equivalent GED.
- Sufficient training and experience to demonstrate the knowledge and abilities listed above.