Police Officer – Entry Level
Applications are being accepted to establish an eligibility list for Police Officer positions at the Manassas City Police Department. After a comprehensive hiring process, applicants selected for hire must satisfactorily complete a 20-week course at the Northern Virginia Criminal Justice Academy.
The purpose of this position is to protect life and property; respond to the needs of the general public; deter criminal activity within the community; enforce all state and local ordinances and laws; and protect the constitutional rights of all citizens by performing investigations, special details, and specific assignments.
- Enforces all applicable city, state and federal laws.
- Conducts criminal investigations, patrols assigned area and assists in emergency situations.
- Reviews all documents, papers and notes related to an investigation to allow for knowledgeable courtroom testimony.
- Speaks with, and interacts with citizens to establish rapport and trust.
- Establishes probable cause, issues summons, completes criminal complaints, and testifies to Magistrate during probable cause hearings for adult custodial arrests.
- Demonstrates proficiency in the use of issued or assigned equipment to include: issued firearm, ASP, Taser, OC, PBT, camera, patrol rifle, mobile date terminal, less-than-lethal munitions, body worn cameras and patrol shield.
High School diploma or GED and Vocational/Technical training in law enforcement required; supplemented by one year of law enforcement experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job. Must successfully complete required law enforcement training. Must possess and maintain a valid Virginia driver's license. Must meet the minimum requirements set forth by 15.2-1705 of the Code of Virginia.