Police Officer – Entry Level
Are you looking for a great opportunity to be a part of an agency that aspires to deliver world-class public safety services? Start a rewarding career with the Elk Grove Police Department and partner with a diverse community that shares mutual respect and trust. Join our team in serving our community with pride and integrity!
A California P.O.S.T. Academy Certificate of completion MUST be attached to the application in order to be considered for this position. If you participated in a modular academy, please ensure completion certificates are attached for all modules.
Under general supervision by police sergeant, provides law enforcement and crime prevention work by utilizing community policing and problem oriented strategies; controls traffic flow and enforces State and local traffic regulations; performs investigative work; participates in and provides support and assistance to special department crime prevention and enforcement programs; and does related work as assigned.
- Patrol designated areas of the City in a radio-equipped car, motorcycle or on foot.
- Enforce City, County, State and Federal laws.
- Respond to calls related to the protection of life and property, traffic incidents, and other required emergencies.
- Conduct both preliminary and follow-up investigations of disturbances, prowlers, burglaries, thefts, hold-ups, vehicle accidents, death, and other criminal incidents.
- Make arrests; interview victims, complainants, and witnesses; interrogate suspects.
- Testify and present evidence in court.
- Preserve, collect, process, photograph, and present evidence using scientific techniques including fingerprint, fibers, blood, and related physical evidence.
- Contact and cooperate with other law enforcement agencies in matters relating to the apprehension of offenders and the investigation of offenses.
- Prepare reports on arrests made, activities performed, and unusual incidents.
- Search, fingerprint, and transport prisoners.
Education and Experience Guidelines:
- An Associate’s degree, or 60 college units from an accredited college or university; AND
- Must possess a Certificate of Completion from a P.O.S.T. academy within the last three years before appointment.
- Four (4) years of U.S. Military Service with an honorable discharge or a reservist member with a Joint Service Transcript showing 60 credits can be substituted for the sixty (60) unit requirement.
- No prior Police Officer experience is required.
License or Certificate:
- Possession of an appropriate, valid California driver’s license by the time of appointment.
- A California P.O.S.T. Academy Certificate of completion
- Incumbent will need to pass a background investigation which includes a polygraph, psychological and medical evaluation.
- Must be at least 21 years of age at the time of hire.
- Entry Level Police Officers must serve an 18 month probationary period.