Police Officer – Entry Level
Salary: $6,883.00 Monthly.
The purpose of this position is to protect life and property, prevent and suppress crime, apprehend criminals, and enforce laws and ordinances. Work normally involves patrol, investigation, traffic enforcement, resolving complaints, and report writing duties. The City is strongly oriented toward proactive crime prevention activities and supports community based law enforcement practices.
- Patrols the city to preserve law and order, to prevent and discover the commission of crimes, and to enforce traffic regulations.
- Responds to calls for service involving traffic accidents, domestic situations, misdemeanor or felony offenses, and other public disturbances, and takes necessary police action.
- Provides assistance to citizens in critical and/or emergency situations where the security of lives and/or property may be endangered.
- Investigates complaints of crimes, either as a uniformed officer or a plain clothes detective, including gathering evidence at crime scenes and locating and questioning witnesses.
- Prepares and presents records and cases for prosecutions and/or investigation of criminal, civil, and traffic offenses; testifies as a witness in court.
- Assists other jurisdictions and agencies in routine law enforcement activities, emergency situations, and as part of undercover investigations involving narcotics, gambling, and other activities.
- Trains reserve police officers.
- Maintains department and personal equipment in good operating condition.
- Maintains firearms proficiency.
- Assists with animal control activities.
- No previous law enforcement experience required.
- High school diploma or GED certificate is required.
- Must be at least 20 1/2 years of age by date of application.
- Must be able to successfully complete the Washington State Basic Law Enforcement Academy within one year of hire date and subsequent field training programs.
- Must be able to successfully pass the City’s Civil Service examination process for Entry Level Police Officer.
- Must be able to successfully pass to City standards an extensive background check, polygraph examination, psychological examination, medical examination (including LEOFF II medical requirements), and drug screening.
- Must not have been convicted of a felony offense.
- Must be a citizen of the United States of America or lawful permanent resident by date of application.
- Must be able to work a variety of scheduled shifts up to twelve (12) hour duration including nights, weekends and holidays.
- Must possess, or obtain by the date of hire, a current and valid Washington State driver’s license.
- Must possess, or have the ability to possess within six months of hire date, first aid and CPR certifications.
- Must obtain and maintain Peace Officer Certification as mandated by Washington State law.