$46,487.00 – $49,973.00 Annually
12/31/2023 11:59 PM Eastern
Performs law enforcement work to protect life and property in the Town. The distinction between a Police Officer I, II and Master Police Officer I and II is contingent upon an employee’s progress through the Police Department Promotional Procedures Policy.
Examples of Duties
- Patrols streets in a police car or on foot; checks doors and windows; examines premises of unoccupied residences or buildings; detects unusual conditions, maintains surveillance and observation for stolen cars, missing persons, or suspects; reports dangerous or defective streets, sidewalks, traffic lights, or other hazardous conditions.
- Responds to calls for assistance, complaints, suspicious activity, domestic disputes, loud and disruptive behavior, and other needs; completes calls by determining true nature of the situation and taking whatever legal or persuasive action is warranted.
- Uses proper handcuffing techniques and search techniques to reveal any weapons or contraband and to affect arrest.
- Writes detailed and accurate reports for data and court purposes.
- Investigates traffic accidents; issues traffic citations; directs traffic and participates in other emergency operation activities.
- Performs investigations of accidents and possible crimes through observation, questioning witnesses, and gathering physical evidence; assists the detective in the performance of investigative tasks; arrests and processes criminal suspects.
- Advises the public on laws and local ordinances; serves papers as needed.
- Enforces traffic laws and regulates and directs vehicular traffic at busy times or when traffic signal malfunction or accidents require; maintains order at public gatherings.
- Investigates crashes to determine speed, improper movements, and other contributing circumstances.
Completion of high school and some law enforcement training or experience preferred. Further educational and experience requirements for advancement beyond Police Officer I are elaborated in the Police Department Promotional Procedures Policy.
Possession of a valid Basic Law Enforcement Certificate and further specific requirements are elaborated in the Police Department Promotional Procedures Policy.