$79,456.00 – $113,131.20 Annually
New Officer Hiring Incentives
$1,000 – Amount at Swear-In
$1,000 – Amount at End of Probation
$3,000 – Amount Upon Completion of 3 Years of Service
12/31/2023 11:59 PM Pacific
About the Position
This is a sworn law enforcement position with an emphasis on community policing, focused on crime prevention, organizational excellence, community engagement, and inclusion. Police officers work with diverse communities within the City of Portland to preserve life, maintain human rights, protect property, and promote individual responsibility as well as community commitment. A police officer functions and communicates effectively within the context of varying beliefs, behaviors, orientations, identities, and cultural backgrounds. The Portland Police Bureau provides excellent training, pay, and benefits. Officers serve the community in many unique and rewarding ways.
ALL APPLICANTS must meet each of the following conditions:
- Must be at least 20.5 years old at the time of application.
- Must possess a High School Diploma or GED.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen within eighteen (18) months of date of hire, or a nonimmigrant legally admitted to the United States under a Compact of Free Association. Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application. Application for U.S. citizenship requires five (5) years of residency.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license (in the current state of residence) at the time of application. Have no more than three (3) traffic (moving) convictions in the last three (3) years.
- Marijuana Use: As a sworn position, the candidate must not have used Marijuana (not including CBD) within 12 months of application.
- Have no felony convictions.
- Have no convictions for crimes involving domestic violence.
- Have no dishonorable discharge from any branch of military service.