MUST BE COLORADO POST CERTIFIED OR CURRENTLY ENROLLED IN A COLORADO POST LAW ENFORCEMENT ACADEMY TO APPLY FOR THE POLICE OFFICER POSITION.
Patrols an assigned area in the enforcement of law and order and takes special assignments in the protection of life and property.
1. Take command at scene of crime or accident; takes statements and interviews victims and witnesses; examines situation; records vital information regarding causes and circumstances;
2. Completes police report to describe in a clear, accurate, and concise manner all primary and relevant case activity and developments; read and comprehend legal and non-legal documents, including the preparation and processing of such documents as citations, affidavits, and warrants;
3. Establish traffic surveillance to observe and detect violations of the Model Traffic Code and State Traffic Statutes; complete traffic accident investigations and required accident investigation forms;
4. Ensures that all required reports are completed in a timely manner;
5. Respond to radio and telephone dispatches to investigate citizen concerns including crimes in progress, crimes reported after-the-fact, accidents and disturbances;
6. Operates a computer utilizing such software programs as word processing, spreadsheets, and databases.
• Pertinent Federal, State, and local laws, codes and regulations;
• Criminal behavior and causes underlying criminality and social, psychological and physical needs of criminals;
• Standard police practices, methods, and procedures; Approved and accepted methods of investigation, apprehension, and rules of evidence;
• Police terminology and practices;
• Good public relations skills;
• Safe and appropriate use of firearms and other police related tools
P.O.S.T certified as a Peace Officer, Level I, by the State of Colorado
CPR/First Aid Certification
• Possess and maintain the appropriate CO operator's license for the type of City owned vehicle which the employee may operate in the scope of employment;
• Minimum 21 years of age and U.S. Citizen;
• Must abide by City residency requirement to qualify for take-home vehicle benefit;
• Must be able to legally possess and carry a firearm;
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include 20/20 vision or correctable to 20/20 vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, normal color acuity.