- Attends a 32-week Basic Training Course at the Dallas Police Academy, which will provide classroom and field instruction in basic police procedures, techniques, and laws.
- After passing the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education (TCLEOSE) Basic Peace Officer Licensing Examination, will receive additional training in Dallas Police Department specific courses including Dallas City Code (city ordinances), and other real life police situations and functions.
- Performs other related duties, including special projects, as requested or required.
- Regular, reliable and punctual attendance is an essential function of the job.
- Forty-five (45) semester hours of college credit (excluding developmental courses) with an overall grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or higher from a college or university accredited by a Regional Institutional Accrediting Organization
- Valid Texas Commission on Law Enforcement license (TCOLE) (Active TCOLE Peace Officer License Exemption: College credit hours requirement is waived for Law Enforcement Personnel who possess an active TCOLE Peace Officer License)
- Thirty-six (36) months of full-time certified law enforcement experience (from date of receipt of license) with a city, county or state law enforcement agency and be currently employed or separated from the agency for no more four (4) months prior to the date of application
- A minimum of thirty-six (36) months active service in the Armed Forces of the United States of America with an Honorable Discharge, (Allowance for no more than ten (10) calendar days less than thirty-six (36) months; more than ten (10) days requires approval from the Assistant Chief of Police over the Personnel and Development Division)
Required Qualifying Documents
*PLEASE BE ADVISED–Your application is INCOMPLETE until you have attached a legible copy of one of the above qualifying documents. Completed applications are required to participate in the Civil Service Examination process. RESUMES WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED AS QUALIFYING DOCUMENTS.
Examples of Qualifying Documents
- College Transcripts/Unofficial Transcript (DO NOT attach your degree certification)
- Active TCOLE Peace Officer License
- Military DD214 and/or Statement of Service
- Out of State Law Enforcement License
- Military discharge must be “Honorable” (if applicable).
- Must be a United States citizen.
- Must be at least nineteen and one-half (19 ½) years of age* and not have reached forty-five (45) years of age on the date the Civil Service written examination is taken. [*Applicants under the age of twenty-one (21) must have at least sixty (60) semester hours of college credit (excluding developmental courses) with an overall grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or higher from a college or university accredited by a Regional Institutional Accrediting Organization.]
- NO FELONY or CLASS A MISDEMEANOR CONVICTIONS.
- NO CLASS B MISDEMEANOR CONVICTIONS WITHIN THE LAST TEN (10) YEARS.
- Must have valid driver’s license with good driving record.
- Must possess the physical/medical health to adequately perform the duties of a Police Officer
Spanish/English Equivalency Test (College Level Exam Placement-CLEP) will substitute for
twelve (12) semester credit hours.
EXAM DESCRIPTION: Exam covers map reading, reading comprehension, prioritization, probability, vocabulary and word use, mathematics, sentence clarity, and character comparison.
TIME LIMIT: Three (3) hours