$42,936.59 – $69,127.91 Annually
General Definition of Work
ELIGIBLE FOR SIGN ON BONUS!!
Must provide a copy of applicants driver’s license and social security card.
Performs protective service work patrolling the City, responding to service requests, enforcing laws and ordinances, making arrests, testifying in court, preparing records and files, preparing reports, and related work as apparent or assigned. Work is performed under the moderate supervision of the Police Sergeant.
- On an assigned shift, operates a patrol vehicle or walks to observe for violations of criminal and traffic laws, suspicious activities, or persons, and disturbances of law and order.
- Responds to radio dispatches and answers calls and complaints; explains and enforces applicable State and local laws and ordinances.
- Interviews witnesses, victims, and suspects to obtain additional necessary information regarding crimes, accidents, violations, etc.; helps investigate crimes and collect evidence; conducts searches.
- Enforce traffic laws; issues citations for traffic violations and investigates traffic accidents; completes seatbelt surveys in certain locations to view problem areas.
- Provides police escorts, directs traffic; performs residential and commercial checks; attempts to reduce law infractions and accidents through high visibility.
- Serves warrants, summons, civil and criminal papers, etc.; attends and testifies in court; discusses cases with the Commonwealth Attorney.
- Detains, arrests, transports, and/or escorts suspects and evidence to the appropriate facility with due regard for safety.
- Ensures vehicle is properly maintained and performs vehicle inspections; maintains individual equipment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Obtain Law Enforcement Officer Certification within one year. Must meet and maintain all department, State and Federal training and education requirements for the position. Valid driver’s license in the Commonwealth of Virginia.