To perform a variety of duties in the enforcement of laws and the prevention of crimes; to control traffic flow and enforce State and local traffic regulations; and to perform a variety of technical and administrative tasks in support of the Police Department and other public safety agencies.
Salary/Pay Rate: $48,327 – $60,409
Deadline to Apply: 01/31/2019 5:00 PM
1. Patrol a designated area of the City to preserve law and order, discover and prevent the commission of crimes and enforce traffic and other laws and ordinances.
2. Respond to general public service calls, crime victims, traffic hazards, stray animal reports and related misdemeanors and felony incidents.
3. Perform criminal investigations; interview and take statements from victims, suspects and witnesses; obtain and secure evidence of criminal activity.
4. Serve arrest warrants; make arrests for crimes committed under penal, fish and game and welfare and institute codes; control and mitigate people under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
5. Process and store evidence and property found at various crime scenes; maintain records and enter data into computer.
6. Perform booking procedures for new prisoners; complete a variety of forms, fingerprinting and photographing.
7. Prepare presentation of evidence in court; testify in civil courts and hearings; prepare and process court reports.
8. Gather, file and maintain current database of currently licensed liquor establishments, gaming sites and license holders.
9. Maintain and update records and files of activities and operations; prepare reports as necessary.
Knowledge: Law enforcement methods and procedures including patrol, crime prevention and investigation; Rules of search and seizure and preservation of evidence; Laws governing the apprehension, arrest and custody of persons accused of felonies and misdemeanors; City geography and demography; Operational characteristics of police equipment, firearms, vehicles and apparatus; Pertinent City and state laws and ordinances.
Skills: Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; Understand and follow oral and written instructions; Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work; Maintain mental capacity which allows for effective interaction and communication with others and the capability of making sound decisions and demonstrating intellectual capabilities; Maintain effective audio/visual discrimination and perception to the degree necessary for the successful performance of assigned duties; Maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities; Perform a wide range of law enforcement assignments;
Abilities: Think clearly and act quickly in emergency situations; Use and care for firearms and other police equipment; Control violent people and affect arrests; Interview and interrogate persons for the purpose of gathering evidence; Gather and maintain security of evidence for presentation in court; Interpret and enforce City and State laws, codes and ordinances; Work independently in the absence of supervision; Maintain high level of confidentiality; Respond to requests and inquiries from the general public.
Experience and Training Guidelines
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Two years of increasingly responsible law enforcement experience.
Equivalent to an Associates degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in police science, criminal justice or a related field.
License or Certificate
Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid driver's license.
Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid peace officer license.
Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid weapons certificate.
Possession of, or ability to obtain appropriate hazardous materials training.
Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid C.P.R. Certificate.
Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, traffic radar certificate.