This is a sworn law enforcement position that involves protecting life and property through enforcement of laws, ordinances, and policy. Work involves responding to emergency and non-emergency police calls for service, responsibility for performing assigned police work of varying difficulty utilizing community oriented/problem solving techniques which include community engagement, resource development, the enforcement of laws and ordinances, crime prevention, detection and investigation, apprehension of violators, preservation of order, and related police functions.
Pay Range $20.60 – $27.68
The essential duties of the patrol officer are divided into nine main functional areas: communication, decision-making, staff assistance, investigation/interrogation, planning and organizing, patrolling, controlling situations, equipment used, and policies and procedures.
- Associates degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Current MCOLES certification or must achieve MCOLES certification within 12 months of date of hire. Academy sponsorship may be supported for applicant by CMU Police Department.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license
- Possession of the physical capabilities necessary to perform the duties of the position
- Ability to successfully complete training to become a certified LEIN computer system operator
- Demonstrated ability to accurately complete written reports
- Must possess maturity of judgment and ability to act with tact and restraint while utilizing resolutions techniques
- Demonstrated positive interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and project a positive image
- Bachelor’s Degree
- One year of increasingly responsible work experience in public safety
- Experience working in a higher education environment