The City of Yankton is currently accepting applications for the position of Police Officer. This position in the Yankton Police Department involves skilled general duty police work in enforcing federal, state, and city laws. A person in this position is responsible for the protection of life and property, the prevention, detection, and investigation of crime, and maintaining law and order.
The hourly pay range is $24.44 to $30.94 and the annual salary range is $50,838 to $64,361 annually, plus benefits and incentives.
- 12-hour shifts, work 7 of 14 days (80 hours), every other weekend off (3 days), holiday and overtime pay, nighttime differential.
- Uniforms, equipment, and State Law Enforcement Certification paid.
- Life, Health, Dental, and Vision insurance provided.
- Sick leave, comp time, and vacation accrual.
- Retirement plan provided through the South Dakota Retirement System. City matches 8%of employees 8% pre-tax wages. Supplemental retirement plan available.
- Free GreatLIFE Fitness Club Gym membership.
- Officers are provided opportunities to attend the latest training classes/courses and have access to advanced equipment, computer programs, and vehicles.
- Certified Law Enforcement may be eligible for a higher starting pay grade depending on qualifications.
- Employee Tuition Assistance Program.
Applicants must meet the following requirements for eligibility:
- Applicants must be a United States Citizen, at least 21 years of age, have a high school diploma or GED equivalent, and possess a valid driver’s license.
- Must not have been convicted of a felony or serious misdemeanor. No marijuana drug use for the past one (1) year, No illegal controlled substances in the past 5 years, as a policy of Yankton Police Department.
- Applicants must be able to complete the preparatory program of law enforcement training as established by the South Dakota Law Enforcement Officers Standards Course. Please visit http://atg.sd.gov for more information on training and minimum standards.
- All applicants must pass a written exam. Qualified applicants will be required to pass a physical fitness test consisting of a 1-mile run (10 min.).
- Selected applicants will be subject to a thorough background investigation, Computer Voice Stress Analysis (CVSA), and oral interview. The applicant’s e-mail address is requested for notification of the date and schedule of testing.
- A pre-employment physical, audio, back screen, eye exam, drug screen, and psychological evaluation are required if selected for open positions
The application form is available on the city website www.cityofyankton.org. Position open until filled.
The City of Yankton is an Equal Opportunity Provider and Employer