The University of Virginia’s College at Wise invites applications for a campus Police Officer. UVA Wise is a four-year liberal arts college located in the mountains of southwestern Virginia, and is a division of the University of Virginia. The Campus Police department maintains a 24/7 operation year round. Duties of this position include:
- Providing for public safety by maintaining order, responding to emergencies, protecting people and property, enforcing motor vehicle and criminal laws, and promoting good community relations.
- Routine patrolling and securing of all campus buildings.
- Investigating traffic and other accidents to determine causes and to determine if a crime has been committed.
- Testifying in court to present evidence or act as a witness in traffic and criminal cases.
- Monitoring, noting, reporting, and investigating suspicious persons and situations, safety hazards, and unusual or illegal activity in patrol area.
- Identifying, pursuing, and arresting suspects and perpetrators of criminal acts.
- Patrolling assigned area, responding promptly to calls for assistance.
- Rendering aid to accident victims and other persons requiring first aid for physical injuries.
Education: High School graduate or G.E.D.
Experience: Must be able to obtain a bond to carry a weapon.
Licensure: A valid Virginia driver’s license with a positive points balance is required. If applicants are from out of state, the ability to get a Virginia license by the start date of the position is required.