Industry: Protective Service
Occupational Category: Law Enforcement
**Now accepting applications from candidates who have taken and passed the Public Safety Testing, Inc. exam for the City of Spokane. PST score must be less than six months old.**
Performs general duty police work in the enforcement of laws and ordinances.
Police Officer applicants must pass the Public Safety Testing, Inc., examination to be eligible for hire by the City of Spokane. After you have completed the PST exam, you must apply through the City website for review and placement on the eligible list.
If you have not already taken the PST exam, you may sign up at www.publicsafetytesting.com.
The City of Spokane offers one free test per year for those who apply only to the City of Spokane and take the test on the designated “free testing” date at the Spokane, Wash., location. The “free testing” date for 2016 has already occurred.
NOTE: The standard PST written test cost is $45, which allows applicants to choose up to 2 agencies to receive their results. Applicants may select more agencies in pairs for an additional fee. Applicants who apply to other agencies than the City of Spokane, or who take the test at a date or location other than the designated free test date in Spokane, are responsible for all costs incurred.
Additional examinations shall be administered as applications are received with results merged into one eligible list according to final ratings, pursuant to the Merit System Rules of the Civil Service Commission: Rule IV, Section 13 – Continuous Examinations.
Upon request, at time of application, the City will provide alternative accessible tests to individuals with disabilities that impair manual, sensory or speaking skills needed to take the test, unless the test is intended to measure those skills.
- Exercises powers of arrest and control; defends self and uses force and deadly force; enforces motor vehicle laws; operates vehicle under emergency conditions and provides emergency assistance; responds to crime scenes and performs criminal investigations; participates in special operations.
- Patrols a designated area on foot or in a radio and computer equipped vehicle to preserve law and order, to prevent and discover the commission of crime, to direct traffic and to enforce traffic and parking regulations.
- Answers calls and investigates complaints involving accidents, fires, misdemeanors and felonies; investigates suspicious activities.
- Administers first aid, interviews witnesses, gathers information and evidence, makes arrests, prepares reports, testifies as witness in court.
- May be assigned, on a permanent or shift basis, to such specialized technical or administrative duties as: working police desk, maintenance of criminal records, license inspection, photographic and identification work, traffic safety training, field training, radio operation, etc.
- Advises public on laws and ordinances, provides general information and otherwise assists the public.
- Performs related work as required.
NOTE: Before applying, please read the Spokane City Police Department's Hiring Standards (Download PDF reader).
Open Entry (Must be met at time of application.)
- Education: Completion of 45 quarter or 30 semester credit hours of course work from an accredited college or university with a minimum GPA of C or 2.0, which includes at least 5 quarter or 3 semester credit hours of college English.
- Experience: None
Licenses and Certifications (Must submit proof of valid license and current certification.)
- Possession of a valid driver's license.
- Candidates must be 20 years of age at the time of application and 21 years of age at the time of appointment.
- Must be within the normal weight range for height.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.