Salary: $33.08 – $45.99 Hourly.
Under the general direction of a police supervisor, works in partnership with the community to promote a high quality of life by providing a safe and secure environment for those who reside in, work in, or are visitors to the City. Police Officers patrol the City to enforce laws, prevent crime, respond to calls for service, assist with solving problems, and related duties.
- Provide superior police services to those requesting or requiring such services including information, advice, and direction. Patrol neighborhoods and business for indications of criminal activity and other disorders taking a problem-solving approach to the abatement of problems. Initiate activities in the support of the Fairfield Police Department mission.
- Enforce laws by issuing warnings, summons, or arrests when necessary. Carefully and clearly present information and testimony in Court and to other audiences as required.
- Conduct thorough and complete investigations, effectively gathering information through interview and other means. Follow up and close cases efficiently.
- Promote a safe and efficient movement of motor vehicle traffic through enforcement of traffic laws, and traffic direction where required. Control people and crowds in a safe, effective and courteous manner. Physically defend self and others from personal attack and pursue and apprehend fleeing suspects when necessary.
- Contribute to the overall effective delivery of police services of the Fairfield Police Department in special roles such as Investigator, Canine Officer, Evidence Technician, Traffic Crash Investigator, Field Training Officer, Bike Patrol, DARE, etc.
- Prepare accurate, understandable and presentable reports and correspondence. Conduct careful analysis of arrest, warrant, citation, etc., data where required.
- Maintain currency in critical skills of Law Enforcement such as firearms training, human relations, problem solving, reporting, etc. Maintain physical fitness to effectively carry out job responsibilities.
- U.S. Citizen;
- High school diploma/GED (Associate Degree in Criminal Justice and/or State of Ohio Basic Peace Officer Training Certificate preferred);
- Valid Driver’s license;
- Minimum age 21 at the time of the exam and not eligible for original appointment to Fairfield Police Department on or after 35th birthday;
- Superior personal characteristics including honesty, moral character, ethical behavior, reputation or habit;
- Above average oral and written communications skills, interpersonal skills, and decision-making skills;
- Ability to make sound judgments in critical situations often without consultation and supervision;
- Ability to effectively relate to people of various socio-economic levels;
- Basic computer competency.