Emory University is a leading research university that fosters excellence and attracts world-class talent to innovate today and prepare leaders for the future. We welcome candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our academic community.
• Performs the duties of an armed peace officer.
• Conducts field investigations, initiates and executes detentions, makes arrests, issues citations, writes reports, obtains warrants, conducts searches, transports prisoners to jail or to a juvenile facility, and testifies in a court of law.
• Provides armed vehicular and foot patrol within jurisdiction.
• Responds to calls for assistance in life threatening, emergency and service related situations.
• Enforces state and federal law, local ordinances, and organizational regulations.
• Controls crowds and conducts/controls traffic.
• Restrains violent or resistant patients under the direction of medical personnel; restrains and transports violent criminals. Observes and reports criminal activity and other incidents or conditions jeopardizing the safety and security of the community. Maintains required record-keeping.
• Performs duties in a sensitive and legal manner and maintains positive public relations.
• Performs related responsibilities as required.
• A high school diploma or equivalent.
• Must have or be able to obtain a Georgia driver's license within 30 days of employment.
• Must be able to complete Georgia P.O.S.T. basic peace officer certification as scheduled by the Department, if not certified in Georgia at the time of employment.
• Must have an insurable driving record.
• Must be able to develop and maintain proficiency with a handgun and other required weapons.
• Must pass an extensive background investigation including a drug screen and psychological exam.
• An accredited associates degree or equivalent course work is preferred.
• Prefer one, or more, of the following: experience as a peace officer with arrest authority or in a law enforcement support or security-related function; or certified as a peace officer in any state; or service in the U.S. military with honorable discharge.