Under the direct supervision of the Police Sergeant, performs a wide variety of police and law enforcement duties including the protection of life and property, enforcement of criminal and traffic laws, crime prevention, preservation of the public peace, apprehension of criminals, and response to calls for service. This class is characterized by the use of independent judgment in the application of police principals, and knowledge of federal, state, and local laws and ordinances. Duties are performed in accordance with departmental orders, standard operating procedures, directives, and as directed by supervision.
Rate of Pay: $45,000 – $60,500
Closes On: December 31, 2021 at 11:59 PM EST
• Patrols assigned area in patrol car, on foot, by bicycle, by motorcycle, to enforce laws, prevent and discover crimes, investigate crimes, assist citizens and maintain order.
• Responds to dispatched calls or citizens’ requests for police services at the scene of accidents, domestic disputes, law violations, and public disturbances.
• Directs and controls traffic. Issues written citations for traffic and other minor violations.
• Investigates causes and results of accidents. Investigates illegal or suspicious activities, persons, and establishments, and quells disturbances.
• Operates law enforcement vehicle during both the night and day in emergency situations in compliance with departmental policies and procedures.
• Effectively communicates with people of varying ages, providing information, mediating disputes, and advising individuals of rights and processes. Maintains professional demeanor under stressful circumstances to include confrontational situations.
• Pursues fleeing suspects which may involve quickly entering and exiting law enforcement patrol vehicles, running, climbing over and pulling oneself over obstacles, jumping down from elevated surfaces, climbing through openings, moving through confined areas, and using body force to gain entrance through barriers.
• Locates, searches, and detains suspects. Exercises independent judgment in determining when there is reasonable suspicion to detain, when probable cause exists to search and arrest and when force may be used and to what degree. Uses the continuum amount of force necessary to control an incident, affect an arrest, or protect the officer or others from harm.
• Performs searches of people, vehicles, building and large outdoor areas which may involve feeling and detecting objects, walking for long periods of time, detaining people and stopping suspicious vehicles and persons.
• Interviews and questions victims, witnesses and suspects. Gathers and preserves evidence and information in criminal investigations. Detects and collects evidence and substances that provide the basis of criminal offenses and infractions in accordance with departmental standards.
• Performs rescue functions at accidents, emergencies and disasters to include directing traffic for long period of time, administering emergency medical aid, lifting, dragging and carrying people away from dangerous situations, and securing and evacuating people from particular areas. May perform first aid and provide other assistance to victims.
Educations and Experience:
High school diploma or GED equivalent is required.
Valid Florida Driver’s License with acceptable driving record.
State of Florida Law Enforcement Officer Certification.