A Police Officer protects and defends citizens and the Constitution as well as personal and private property, enforces criminal and traffic law, serves warrants and makes arrests, generally under the supervision of a first line supervisor; performs related work as required.
The Charlottesville Police Department invites applications for the position of Police Officer. Certified officers are encouraged to apply. Once applications are reviewed by the department, applicants will be invited to physical and written testing. A practice physical agility test will be available, times and dates to be determined.
Salary: $19.38 – $30.14 Hourly
$40,310.00 – $62,680.80 Annually
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
• Knows the citizens of assigned patrol area and crime and traffic problems;
• Provides information to citizens relating to Crime Prevention;
• On an assigned shift, operates a patrol vehicle or walks in an assigned area to observe for violations of traffic laws, suspicious activities or persons and disturbances of law and order;
• Responds to radio dispatches and answers calls and complaints;
• Issues summonses for parking and traffic violation;
• Serves warrants and makes arrests, maintains warrant records;
• Testifies in court;
• Provides police escorts;
• Directs traffic;
• Operates van in the transportation of prisoners or large recovered or confiscated properties;
• Reports unsafe condition existing in street or other public facilities;
• Assists with criminal investigations, conducts stakeouts, assists with the installation of surveillance equipment by presenting evidence, interviewing victims and witnesses;
• Prepares detailed reports;
• Performs related tasks as required.
Education, Experience and Skills:
- High School Diploma or GED equivalency required.
- None required.
- Age less than 21 at time of hire (must be at least 20 years and 6 months of age at time application is submitted)
- Drug convictions
- DUI convictions in the past 5 years
- Felony convictions
- Inability to obtain a Virginia driver's license
- Lack of U.S. citizenship
- Lack of a high school diploma or GED
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Driving record with positive points and no accidents
- College degree or relevant coursework
- Department of Criminal Justice Services certification
- Military experience with honorable discharge
- Police or corrections experience
- Proficiency in a language other than English
- Prior to employment, candidates must pass all phases of the screening process, to include a Physical Agility Test, written examination, physical and psychological evaluation; polygraph examination; background check including but not limited to references, criminal history check, and DMV check; pre-employment drug testing.
- Employees must also sign a no-smoking contract.
Skills: Requires the knowledge of or ability to obtain the knowledge of police methods, practices and procedures; general knowledge of the geography of the City and location of important buildings; general knowledge of the rules and regulations of the Police Department; ability to understand and carry out oral and written instruction and to prepare clear concise reports; ability to deal courteously but firmly with the public; ability to analyze situations and to adopt quick, effective and reasonable courses of a action with due regard to surrounding hazards and circumstances; skill in the use of firearms and the operation of motor vehicles.