Sun prairie is currently accepting applications for Police Officer. This posting is to fill current vacancies and establish an eligibility list in the Police Department.
After completing the application and meeting minimum standards, when there is a need to hold a new written test session, we will reach out to applicants.
Applications will then be ranked based upon candidate responses to questions on this application including cultural diversity experience, problem-solving and decision making experience, written test score, veteran/military service, bilingual skills, LESB certifiable status, 60 college credits, completed degree, connection to Sun Prairie, prior law enforcement experience, computer knowledge/experience, prior life experiences lending to an ability to perform as a police officer, experience in effective teamwork, awards/honors/commendations received, and community involvement/volunteerism to be invited to continue in the process.
The Police Commission will hold remote interviews with selected candidates and rate each candidate on a percentage basis. Candidates that score 140 points between the written test and Oral Interview will be placed on an Eligible List (each % score = one point) Example: 60% on written and 90% on interview = 150 points. This Eligibility List is valid for a 12 month period.
$59,514.00 – $70,941.00 Annually
8/15/2021 11:59 PM Central
• Patrols all assigned areas for the prevention of crime and the enforcement of State Statutes and City Ordinances. Responds to requests for service in both emergency and non-emergency situations and takes appropriate action.
• Responds to ambulance calls, provides first responder emergency service until the City's Emergency Medical Technicians arrive.
• Takes action to prevent criminal acts by checking residential, commercial and industrial structures and investigates suspicions conditions, activities or persons.
• Responds to the scene of traffic accidents and investigates the accident. Determines if any traffic laws have been violated and writes a detailed report identifying the circumstances involved in the accidents.
• Directs and controls traffic and enforces the established traffic laws.
• Provides enforcement of the criminal law: identifies and arrests violators. Upon arrest, the Police Officer books the violator on charges and prepares a variety of Police reports to be used in the criminal prosecution.
• Testifies in court.
• Conducts the initial crime investigation at the scene of criminal activity. Secures the scene, identifies and collects evidence and interviews witnesses.
• May be assigned other duties, as needed, for certain periods of time. May be assigned to field training of new officers, provide animal control services, answers the telephone, dispatches information and provides information to the public on all emergency and non-emergency Police issues.
• Routinely utilize in-car computers, as well as desk-top computers, running a variety of software applications.
• Insures that all police equipment and police vehicles are properly maintained.
• Prepares various written reports/forms and dictates reports for transcription.
• May provide information and/or references to other law enforcement agencies when required.
• Must possess a minimum of 60 fully accredited college level credits.
• Must possess a valid driver’s license with good driving record.
• Ability to learn modern Police methods and techniques, preserving evidence and what constitutes admissible evidence.
• Good knowledge of the streets and locations within the City and good knowledge of laws and ordinances is preferred.
• Considerable skill in the use and care of firearms.
• Good skill in observing situations analytically and objectively and recording them clearly and completely.
• Considerable skill in reacting quickly and calmly during emergencies; skill in communicating clearly and concisely both orally and in writing; working skill in executing duties firmly, tactfully, courteously, and impartially; considerable skill in exercising good judgment in evaluating situations and making decisions.