Police Officers with the Hays Police Department have many opportunities within the department. Some special assignment opportunities include:
- Criminal Investigations
- Special Situation Response Team
- High Technology Crime Unit
- Drug Enforcement Unit
- Bike Patrol
- Field Training Officer
- Recruitment Team
- Honor Guard
Education: High School Diploma or equivalent.
Age: Officer must be 21 years of age by their first day of employment.
Citizenship: Kansas law requires Police Officer candidate be a United States citizen.
Tattoos: Visible tattoos must be deemed appropriate by the Chief of Police. Tattoos that do not reflect well on the department are required to be covered.
Background: Officers are put through an extensive background investigation. The background investigation must show:
- Past behavior & choices that reflect favorably on character.
- High standards of honesty & integrity.
- Respectful of diverse backgrounds & cultures.
- Responsible choices regarding drugs & alcohol usage.
Residency Requirements: Hays Police Officers must live within a 40 mile radius of the City of Hays within 6 months of employment.