This is general duty police work in the enforcement of laws and ordinances. Employee is responsible for the protection, detection and investigation of crime, and for maintaining law and order. Specific assignments are received as a result of calls for police service and from superior officers and are carried out in accordance with established rules and regulations. Employees must be able to act without direct supervision in meeting emergencies and unusual situations.
- Patrols assigned area.
- Checks doors and windows of business establishments.
- Enforces vehicle parking and operating laws.
- Watches for and makes investigations of wanted and missing persons and of property.
- Visits crime scenes and accident locations.
- Searches for and apprehends violators.
- Serves subpoenas and warrants.
- Escorts funeral processions.
- Transports prisoners to police station and to detention facility.
- Testifies and presents evidence in court.
- Assists in directing vehicle and pedestrian traffic and performs school crossing guard duties when necessary.
- Investigates suspected illegal activities.
- Checks on operation of public places for compliance with laws and ordinances.
- May be assigned special law enforcement related duties such as community relations and information officer.
- May be assigned to perform specialized tasks requiring knowledge and background of an experienced police officer such as training and dispatching of police calls for service.
- High School Diploma or Florida approved GED.
- Completion of minimum standard courses set by Florida Criminal Justice Standards and Training commission prior to being certified as a Police Officer or attendance at a certified police academy.
- Prefer supplemented college credits in a discipline recognized by the Florida Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission.