Salary Range: $57,706 – $82,437
Deadline To Apply: Open until filled; with first round deadline 5/6/22; 2nd round deadline 9/16/2022
The City of Moorhead is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Police Officer. This hiring process seeks to fill several current openings and to establish an ongoing eligibility list for 2022 future hiring purposes. Moorhead has a strong commitment to serving our community with excellence. The department trains and equips its officers well to work in a rapidly growing community. Lateral entry credit based on previous experience as a patrol officer is possible for qualifying applicants and can expect an expedited FTO process.
POLICE OFFICER JOB DESCRIPTION:
This protective service position performs intermediate/difficult work enforcing laws, investigating criminal activity, ensuring public safety, maintaining records and files, testifying in court, preparing reports, and related work as required.
Essential Functions: The essential functions of the Police Officer include, but are not limited to the following major duties performed. Duties are listed from most to least important.
- Performs patrol functions; operates a patrol vehicle or rides a bicycle to preserve the peace and enforce the law; controls vehicular traffic; prevents or detects and investigates misconduct involving misdemeanors, felonies, and other law violations; differentiates between civil and criminal matters.
- Investigates and assists at scene accident and/or crime; interrogates suspects and interviews witnesses and victims; conducts searches; collects, processes and provides follow-up related to evidence.
- Makes arrests and testifies in court, occasionally with little scheduling notice.
- Prepares reports and records including accident reports, traffic citations, investigation reports, breathalyzer checklist, vehicle impoundment form, etc.
- Prepares presentations and performs public education and public speaking on police service and crime prevention topics.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: To perform the Police Officer position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the formal education, experience and training required.
Education and Experience
- Associates/Technical degree in criminal justice (or related field) OR successful completion of the Minnesota Board of Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) Reciprocity Exam OR eligible to take the MN Post Reciprocity Exam
- Minnesota Peace Officer Standards and Training License