The Police Officer will work under the direct supervision of the patrol sergeant and the senior officer in charge, responding to calls for police service within SMU’s jurisdiction and is responsible for protecting life and property, as well as enforcing all City, State and Federal laws and University policies.
Candidate must be able to work any assigned shift. The ability to work overtime, weekends and/or holidays is required.
• Patrol campus and surrounding properties by vehicle, foot, or bicycle; prevent or deter criminal activity;
• Making arrest, issuing citations (parking, moving, UP citations or justice of the peace citations);
• Investigating crimes, vehicle accidents and complaints;
• Directing traffic and crowd control during special events including collegiate sporting events;
• Assist the community as needed (directions, escorts, lock or unlock campus facilities) settling disputes.
Education and Experience:
High school diploma or GED, sixty (60) semester college hours from an accredited college or university; or any special training and experience in civilian or military police is required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
• Minimum of 21 years of age
• US Citizenship
• TCOLE Basic Peace Officer Certification OR have taken and passed the TCOLE Basic Peace Officer Exam.
• A current Texas Vehicle Operator's License
• No convictions of an offense above a Class B Misdemeanor or a conviction of a Class B Misdemeanor within the last 10 years.
• No convictions of any family violence offense
• If applicable, must have an "Honorable Discharge" from military service.