Applications are now being accepted to establish an eligibility list for Police Officer positions in the City of Fairfax Police Department. After a comprehensive hiring process, applicants selected for hire must satisfactorily complete a 21 week course at the N. VA Criminal Justice Academy. NOTE: Applicants currently certified by the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services (D.C.J.S.) are not required to attend the Police Academy.
The eight step hiring process includes: Application Completion, Written Test (waived for applicants certified by D.C.J.S.), Initial Interview, Background Investigation, Conditional Job Offer, Polygraph Testing, Structured Interview, Psychological and Job-Related Physical Examination.
Performs general duty police work in the protection of life and property through the enforcement of laws and ordinances of the City and Commonwealth of Virginia. Patrols a designated area of the City to preserve law and order and to prevent and discover the commission of crime, to direct traffic, and to enforce motor vehicle laws. As directed, officer answers calls and complaints involving suspicious and criminal activities, domestic disputes, and other related citizen requests for service. Maintains records and prepares reports. Performs all other duties as assigned.
1) 20 years and 6 months of age at time of application, no upper age limit
2) High school graduate or valid G.E.D. certificate
3) Possession of a valid operator's license
4) Eyesight must meet minimum of 20/20 binocular vision. Corrective glasses may be worn. Uncorrected vision with glasses must be no worse than 20/100 in either eye. Corrective soft contact lenses may be worn. Uncorrected vision with soft contacts must be no worse than 20/200. Must demonstrate successful long term wear of lenses of 6 months minimum for pre-employment examination
5) U.S. Citizenship required at time of application
6) No felony convictions or domestic assault convictions
7) Be of good character and reputation
8) Have a favorable credit record
9) Have the ability to speak clearly, hear, analyze and react swiftly to high stress situations dealing with citizens
10) Successful completion of the applicant screening process