Closing Date: 3/26/2024.
The University Police Officer is part of the Campus Police Department. The University Police Officer is responsible for enforcing local, state, and federal laws serving to protect persons and University Buildings/Property in and around the university community. It is required that the University Police Officer comply with Vincennes University rules and policies while attempting to ensure justice and maintain the dignity of the individuals.
- Provides security and law enforcement protective services to the university community by various patrol methods.
- Respond to emergencies by assessing the situation, employing tact, diplomacy, and individual judgment to remedy and/or maintain control. Some situations may require the officer to provide onsite leadership/supervision over less experienced officer(s).
- Deter, restrain, refer, and/or arrest individual(s) attempting to inflict harm to themselves or others or to commit a criminal offense.
- Gather; obtain pertinent information from participants and/or witnesses for inclusion into mandated administrative forms/reports related to reported incident(s).
- Conduct assigned criminal investigations or special projects as required.
- Provide security details as requested by senior departmental administrative personnel.
- Maintain, monitor, and possess the ability to use Vincennes University Police department communication equipment.
- Appear in court to provide testimony regarding cases involving the officer.
- Enforce traffic/parking rules/regulations of Vincennes University, ordinances of the city of Vincennes and the codes of the State of Indiana.
- Maintain professional development through in-service training, external classes, professional seminars, and literary readings.
- Conduct health, safety, and crime prevention presentations on behalf of the Vincennes University Police Department.
- Provide general information guidance to university staff, students, guests, and the general public.
- Comply with rules/regulations governing the confidentiality of information as lawfully dictated by Vincennes University and Vincennes University Police Department.
- Complete and successfully pass the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy within 12 months of the incumbent’s date of hire.
- Participate in outreach programs to market Vincennes University and Vincennes University Police Department brand.
- Adhere to the rules/regulation of Vincennes University and Vincennes University Police Department; the constitution of Indiana; the Constitution of the United States of America.
- Provide other work-related duties as required by the Chief of Police.
- High School Diploma.
- AS Degree in Law Enforcement or 60 hours of post-secondary education (PREFERRED).
- A minimum of 21 years of age.
- Provide proof of U.S. citizenship.
- Possess a valid Indiana Driver’s License.
- No records of arrest for misdemeanors or felonies.
- Ability to bend and lift objects over 100 pounds.
- Must be able to work rotating shifts.
- Sufficient oral and written communication skills to effectively speak with clients and prepare job-related documentation.