Salary: $42,955 to $52,118, depending on experience.
Open Until Filled
Under general supervision, performs all duties of a Police Officer, including enforcing applicable laws, ordinances, policies and procedures. Patrols the campus by foot, bicycle or motor vehicle.
- Protects life and property of the general public within the jurisdiction of the Nashville State Community College Police Department.
- Responds and takes the lead in atypical situations and emergencies, until relieved by higher authority.
- Assists with training activities and in-service presentations for other Police Officers, Security Officers and the campus population.
- Observes and reports suspected crimes, accidents or activities of a questionable/suspicious nature. Discourages unlawful activities.
- Works with the Chief of Police to plan, organize and implement security for campus functions, special events, crisis management and disaster planning.
- Reports incidents involving persons or property, reporting likely cause of accidents, pursuing appropriate course of action and informing proper authorities as required.
- Cooperates with other law enforcement officials and jurisdictions and testifies in court or legal proceedings as required.
- Operates and maintains safety and security department equipment. Keeps records and makes reports.
- Makes recommendations to the Chief of Police on the development and implementation of comprehensive security programs, policies and procedures.
- Serves as liaison with contract security company and officers.
- Provide guidance in coordination with Chief of Police for the contract security officers.
- Responds to requests for assistance, such as jump starting cars, unlocking doors, giving directions, etc., from students, faculty and staff. Maintains all training to ensure P.O.S.T certification is current.
- High School Diploma or educational equivalent.
- Two years of work experience in law enforcement.
- Possess a valid Tennessee driver’s license. Out of state applicants must obtain a Tennessee driver’s license within thirty (30) days of hire.
- Current certification by the Tennessee Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) Commission, per TCA 38-8-107, or the ability to become P.O.S.T. certified within six (6) months of hire.
- Must pass a medical examination/drug screening and a psychological evaluation.
- Must pass a thorough background investigation, including a favorable criminal background report and motor vehicle record. Must never have been convicted of or pled guilty to or entered a plea of nolo contendere to any felony charge or to any violation of any federal or state laws or city ordinances relating to force, violence, theft or controlled substances.
- Must have received an honorable discharge if served in the U.S. armed forces.
- Have his/her fingerprints on file with the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation
- Associate’s Degree in Criminal Justice or related field.
- Current P.O.S.T. certification.
- Crisis management or emergency management training and experience.
- Experience policing in a higher education setting.
- Knowledge of the Clery Act.
- Ability to speak a second language, particularly Spanish or Arabic.