Closing date: 07/08/2022
Salary: $46,997 – $46,997 per year
The incumbent serves as a Federal police officer working for the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) performing law enforcement and security duties pursuant to Title 38 USC § 902. VA police officers are a vital part of ensuring a safe and secure environment across VA.
The mission of the Police Officer is to serve and protect Veterans, patients, employees, contractors, volunteers, affiliates, visitors, and others who frequent VA facilities.
- Protects property and persons on VA property, and enforces appropriate criminal codes and regulations.
- Assists patients, visitors and employees who require direction and/or physical assistance.
- Issues traffic citations and federal violation notices when necessary.
- Responds to crowd and riot control, bomb threats and search requests.
- Questions witnesses and principals in crimes reported on VA property.
- Arrests persons for offenses committed on VA property and transfers them to appropriate authorities for detention.
- Frequently works and patrols alone and without supervision in the outlying grounds and parking lots areas.
- Directs and assists persons to safety areas during fire, storm or other emergencies and takes prompt action to evacuate persons from dangerous areas.
- Identifies and reports hazardous situations and correct immediate dangers.
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to background/security investigation
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- A character investigation may be conducted on applicants selected for employment.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Must have a valid state drivers license.