Patrol San Jacinto College property to detect and deter criminal activity, identify unsafe conditions and provide a safe environment for members of the College community.
Posting Close Date: 11/30/2020
• Reviews reports daily for accuracy, completeness and compliance with departmental policies and procedures; determines and monitors follow- up actions required; prepares and submits a variety of police reports, records and correspondence.
• Develop and maintain strong positive working relationships with SJCPD leadership, officers and non-sworn personnel as well as employees and leadership of the College.
• Engage in a variety of crime prevention/reduction activities including security escorts, women’s self-defense training, security assessments, personnel safety and property security education programs.
• Instill a strong customer service and community policing philosophy within their assigned division of the police department.
• Conduct training programs in their areas of expertise for police department personnel.
• Conduct criminal investigations, document investigative progress, coordinate investigations with other law enforcement agencies, and submit completed investigations for prosecution and adjudication.
• Provide first-aid to members of the College community and assist emergency medical and fire department personnel responding to college property
• Enforce State traffic laws and San Jacinto College parking regulations.
• Provides security for special events and dignitary protection for high profile visitors to the College.
• Maintain police department equipment, vehicles, software, computers, uniforms and firearms.
• Act as property and evidence custodian for the police department.
• Conducts background investigations and assists with hiring processes for new personnel.
• Maintains the highest level of professional standards
• Ensures Compliance with all San Jacinto College and Police Department policies and guidelines
• Serves as a model of excellence, and supports, promotes and emulates the College Values, mission statement, goals and objectives.
To be considered for this position, candidates must meet the following criteria:
• Must be 21 years of age, and a U.S. citizen.
• A current Texas Peace Officer License issued by TCOLE or Out-of-State candidate (s) must complete TCOLE requirements for out of state peace officers and successfully pass the Texas Licensing Examination.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Must meet the following criteria:
• Demonstrated leadership, communication and critical decision making skills in a law enforcement environment relevant to San Jacinto College.
Education and Experience:
Meet one of the following experience and education requirements:
• Two years of full-time experience as a police officer and a high school diploma or equivalent, or;
• Twelve (12) earned hours of college credits from an accredited institution or;
• Honorable Discharge from the military
• Valid Texas driver’s license with acceptable driver’s record.
• Hold a current Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Basic Peace Officer Proficiency Certification or Out-of-State candidate (s) must complete TCOLE requirements for out of state peace officers and successfully pass the Texas Licensing Examination. Out-of-State candidates are encouraged to contact the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement regarding Basic Peace Officer Proficiency Certification.
• TCOLE Intermediate Peace Officer Certification