Salary: $46,468.53 Annually
Functions as a law enforcement officer providing protection of life and property, enforcing statutes and ordinances and providing police services to the community. Tasks are primarily service oriented and include dispensing information, arbitrating disputes, providing assistance through referrals, property protection, crime prevention, detective, investigative, and other public safety services. Duties include an element of personal danger, exposure to adverse weather conditions, apprehending criminals, directing traffic, and transporting prisoners. The incumbent must be able to act without close supervision and must be able to exercise independent judgment. Incumbents may be assigned to a primary functional area, such as administrative support services, patrol operations, C.I.D. or Community Outreach. Work is performed under the general supervision of a Sergeant or other designated department official.
Duties and Responsibilities
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Conducts preventive patrol in designated residential and business areas, and initiates contacts with both business operators and residents to establish open communications within the community.
- Responds to calls for police service and takes action upon observing a circumstance or situation requiring police attention (i.e., responding to domestic disputes and disturbances, disputes among neighbors, juveniles, and gang incidents).
- Provides information and/or assistance to the public by answering a wide range of police related service calls, informing citizens of available services in the community, and providing referrals to other city, county, and state agencies when applicable.
- Maintains the peace and safety of the community by quelling public disturbances and maintaining civil obedience at group functions.
- Provides for the safe and convenient flow of traffic and pedestrians within the community, investigates traffic accidents, enforces traffic violations, promotes vehicular and pedestrian safety, reports unsafe road conditions, and conducts DUI investigations.
- Conducts criminal and non-criminal investigations, initial investigation into numerous crimes (robbery, burglary, assaults, etc.), conducts investigations concerning civil disturbances (land-lord/tenant, failure to pay, child custody, etc.), conducts follow-up investigations of crimes and other incidents, conducts surveillance of areas for suspected or potential criminal activity.
- Enforces laws and arrests lawbreakers for both felonies and misdemeanors, issues Notices to Appear, issues traffic citations, and prepares written reports, forms, other documents as required.
- Testifies in civil and criminal court proceedings and gives depositions.
- Provides a variety of specialized services when properly trained and so assigned (i.e., K-9, Bicycle Patrol, Motorcycle Patrol, Detective).
- Functions in a primary functional area, such as administrative support services, field and firearms training, public information, or athletics, when properly trained and so assigned, whereby incumbent maintains documentation and records concerning the assigned function.
- Adheres to all established safety and housekeeping standards. Ensures such standards are not violated.
- Meets attendance requirements. Provides adequate notice to supervisor with respect to personal leave time.
- Promotes consumer friendly environment within the department. Shares knowledge with managers, supervisors and coworkers for mutual benefit. Contributes to maintaining high morale among all employees. Develops and maintains cooperative and courteous relationships inter- and intra-departmentally, and with external entities with whom the position interacts. Tactfully and effectively handles requests, suggestions, and complaints in order to establish and maintain good will. Emphasizes the importance of maintaining a positive image.
Marginal Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Attends community/civic organization meetings as required.
- Provides security and escort services.
- Educates the public regarding crime prevention techniques and the operation of the Police Department.
- Attends and participates in court proceedings, giving depositions, testifying at trial, etc.
May be authorized to assume the duties of a Corporal the absence of same.
Education and/or Experience:
High School Diploma or GED; supplemented by State of Florida Law Enforcement Certification; supplemented by additional training when assigned to a special services functional area, such as criminal investigations, property and evidence protection.
Possession of a valid Florida Driver’s License.
Must meet minimum qualifications for employment as stipulated in F.S. 943.13.
Qualification Requirements: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Is knowledgeable in the principles and practices of lawful protection of lives and property through crime/accident prevention activities, criminal investigation activities, and arrest and seizure activities.
- Has thorough knowledge of methods, materials, procedures and practices utilized in providing special services, when assigned to a primary functional area such as administrative support services, operations, C.I.D. or Community Outreach, firearms training, etc.
- Has thorough knowledge of the laws, ordinances, standards, and regulations pertaining to the essential duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Has considerable knowledge of the organization of the department, and of related departments and agencies.
- Clearly understands the occupational hazards and safety precautions required to perform the essential functions of the work.
- Has thorough knowledge of terminology and related professional languages used within the department as such pertain to work responsibilities.
- Knows how to maintain cooperative and effective relationships with intra- and interdepartmental personnel, as well as any external entities with which position interacts.
- Maintains high standards of accuracy in exercising duties and responsibilities.
- Exercises immediate remedial action to correct any quality deficiencies that occur in areas of responsibility.
- Maintains high quality communication and interaction with internal and external entities with whom the position interacts.
- Performs described essential functions and related assignments efficiently and effectively in order to produce quantity of work which consistently meets established standards and expectations.
- Assumes responsibility for completing assigned work. Completes assigned work within deadlines in accordance with directives, policy, standards, and prescribed procedures. Maintains accountability for assigned responsibilities in the technical, human, and conceptual areas.
- Maintains an enthusiastic, self-reliant and self-starting approach to meet job responsibilities and accountabilities. Strives to anticipate work to be accomplished, and initiates proper and acceptable action for the completion of work with a minimum of supervision and instruction.
- Exercises analytical judgment in areas of responsibility. Identifies issues or situations as they occur and specifies decision objectives. Identifies or assists in identifying alternative solutions to issues or situations.
- Implements decisions in accordance with prescribed and effective policies and procedures and with a minimum of errors. Seeks expert or experienced advice where appropriate and researches issues, situations and alternatives before exercising judgment.
- Accepts supervisory instruction and direction and strives to meet the goals and objectives of same. Questions such instruction and direction when clarification of results or consequences is justified (i.e., poor communications, variance with established policies or procedures, etc.). Offers suggestions and recommendations to encourage and improve cooperation intra- and inter-departmentally.
- Shares knowledge with managers, supervisors and coworkers for mutual benefit.
- Contributes to maintaining high morale among all employees.
- Develops and maintains cooperative and courteous relationships inter- and intra-departmentally, and with external entities with whom the position interacts.
- Tactfully and effectively handles requests, suggestions, and complaints in order to establish and maintain good will.
- Emphasizes the importance of maintaining a positive image.
- Plans and organizes daily work routine.
- Establishes priorities for the completion of work in accordance with sound time-management methodology.
- Avoids duplication of effort.
- Estimates expected time of completion of work elements and establish a personal schedule accordingly.
- Attends required meetings, planning sessions, and discussions on time.
- Implements work activity in accordance with priorities and estimated schedules.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully meet the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Tasks involve the ability to exert extremely heavy physical effort in very heavy work, typically involving some combination of running, walking, climbing and balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling, and the lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling of objects and materials in excess of 100 pounds.
Sensory Requirements: The sensory requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully meet the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate colors or shades of colors. Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate sounds. Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate odors. Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate depths. Some tasks require visual perception and discrimination. Some tasks require oral communications ability.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Tasks risk exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as dirt, dust, pollen, odors, wetness, humidity, rain, fumes, temperature and noise extremes, machinery, vibrations, electric currents, traffic hazards, toxic agents, violence, disease, and/or pathogenic substances.