Police Officers for the San José State University Police Department are fully sworn State of California peace officers per 830.2(c) PC and are part of the California State University Police system. Officers have full peace officer powers anywhere in California. The incumbent will respond to calls for service on and around the SJSU campus. Through preventive patrol by vehicle, bicycle, motorcycle and foot, officers enforce state laws, city ordinances and university regulations. Police Officers conduct criminal and traffic investigations, make arrests, prepare necessary documents and testify in court. Officers also provide for the safety and security of the campus community.
Anticipated Hiring Range: $6,601/month
Hiring Range: $4,682/month – $7,235/month
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: September 10, 2020 through September 29, 2020.
• Patrol campus buildings and grounds by foot or by vehicle.
• Control crowds during assemblies or disturbances.
• Enforce laws and traffic regulations and apprehend violators, which include enforcing parking regulations and issuing traffic citations.
• Investigate and prepare reports on accidents, property damage, fires, law violations, and disturbances of the peace.
• Gather evidence, make arrests and appear in court as required.
• Administer first aid to injured persons.
• Police Officers may receive training and/or be delegated responsibility for additional work assignments
• Graduation from an accredited or approved U.S. high school or equivalent
• Graduation from a California POST certified Basic Police Academy within the last 3 years or; Possess a valid California POST Basic Certificate. For out-of-state applicants, a copy of the California POST waiver document or; Have been employed by a California law enforcement agency as a police officer/deputy within the last 3 years
A valid driver's license is required for this position. Out of state candidates selected for the position must obtain a State of California driver's license within 10 days of hire in accordance with the California Department of Motor Vehicles regulations.
Once hired the employee must successfully complete the Defensive Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for California State University campuses.
• 60 college semester units or equivalent
• POST Basic Certificate of higher
• Bilingual in Spanish or Vietnamese