Salary: $55, 156 – $65, 971.
The duties of a police officer are to enforce laws and ordinances related to protecting the general public and property to enhance the quality of life for the citizens and visitors within the city limits. The police officer is expected to provide law enforcement protection and services, including conducting criminal investigations, traffic enforcement, crime prevention, and general police services.
- Keeps the mission, vision and values of the City of Port St. Lucie at the forefront of decision making and action;
- Builds strategic and collaborative relationships and interacts with others in a way that builds confidence and trust;
- Provides excellent customer service by taking action to accomplish objectives, maintains high levels of work and productivity by generating innovative solutions to work situations;
- Protects life and property through the enforcement of laws & regulations;
- Proactively patrols assigned areas to assure the quality of life;
- Works a shift, which may be Day shift, Evening shift, or Midnight shift, depending on your assignment;
- Patrols assigned area on foot, by motorcycle, by bicycle, in patrol car, or unmarked car to enforce laws, prevent crimes, investigate crimes, maintain order, and keep the peace;
- Responds to 911 dispatched calls and/or citizens’ requests for police services;
- Operates a law enforcement vehicle in emergency conditions day or night, exceeding posted speed limits, in traffic and/or in unsafe road conditions due to inclement weather;
- Has the ability to load, unload, and discharge a firearm, including handguns, shotguns, rifles, or tasers, under conditions of stress that justify the use of deadly force and at levels of proficiency prescribed by FDLE standards;
- Effectively communicates with citizens, including the elderly and juveniles;
- Exercises independent judgment in determining when there is reasonable suspicion to stop suspicious vehicles and persons, when to detain, when probable cause exists to search and arrest, and when force may be used and to what degree;
- Performing thorough searches of subjects, vehicles, buildings, outdoor landscape, per policy, which may involve frisking and detecting objects;
- Locates, searches, and detains suspects following agency approved procedures by using handcuffs and other restraints as outlined by policy;
- Ability to subdue a resisting subject using physical maneuvers, whether hands or feet, or other approved weapons, per agency policy;
- Processes and transports prisoners using handcuffs and other appropriate restraints per department policy, which may include taking their photographs and obtaining a legible set of inked fingerprint impressions.
- Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of an acceptable equivalency diploma.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) from an accredited four-year college or university preferred.
- If served in the military, an honorable discharge is required.
- Completion of the Minimum Standards courses as set forth by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.
- Florida Law Enforcement Certification preferred.
- Enrolled in or completed a CJSTC Law Enforcement Academy.
- Valid Florida Driver’s License and maintenance of clean driving record.