Salary: $53,000.00 Annually.
The Prince George County Police Department is now accepting applications for the position of Police Officer. Individuals employed as Police Officers will perform a wide range of law enforcement activities upon successful completion of a rigorous Field-Training Program. Non-Certified applicants will need to attend the Police Academy in either January or July of 2024 , if selected for employment.
- Must be able to operate motor vehicle under normal and emergency conditions;
- Must be able to physically subdue and restrain an individual;
- Sitting for extended periods of time;
- Requires extensive walking, standing, running and frequent heavy lifting and pushing;
- Requires working in adverse weather;
- Flexible shift hours; (to include nights) and stressful and sometimes life threatening conditions;
- Must carry a firearm and qualify at least annually with the weapon;
- Vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word, and conveying detailed or important instructions to others accurately, loudly, or quickly;
- Hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels, and to receive detailed information through oral communications and/or to make fine distinctions in sound;
- Visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, use of measuring devices, operation of machines, operation of motor vehicles or equipment, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities;
- The worker is subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, extreme cold, extreme heat, noise, vibration, hazards, atmospheric conditions, and oils. The worker may be exposed to bloodborne pathogens and may be required to wear specialized personal protective equipment.
- High school diploma or GED;
- Must be at least 21 years of age prior to completion of the training academy;
- College level coursework or prior work experience in law enforcement, corrections or armed services preferred;
- Successful applicants must pass a written and a physical agility test;
- Possess or be eligible for a valid driver’s license issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia;
- Be a U.S. citizen;
- Have no conviction of felonies and/or habitual misdemeanors; and pass an extensive background investigation which includes a polygraph, psychological, medical and drug screening;
- Must also successfully complete appropriate training prescribed by the Commonwealth of Virginia for this level of position.