Salary $50,502.40 Annually
Police Officers perform responsible protective service work involving a variety of general or support duty police assignments, by performing the following duties. Other duties to provide direct or indirect service to the citizens may be assigned.
* ADDITIONAL $5,000 BONUS GIVEN UPON POLICE ACADEMY GRADUATION*
LPD Hiring Process
- Complete this Application
- Physical Agility Test and Oral Board
- Polygraph Exam
- Extensive Background Check
- Medical Exam
- Psychological Test
Primary communication during the hiring process is done through email. Please check your spam/junk folders on a regular basis in addition to your inbox.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES Other duties to provide direct or indirect service to the citizens may be assigned.
- On assigned shift, operates a patrol vehicle to observe violations of traffic laws, suspicious activities or persons and disturbances of law and order;
- Responds to dispatched calls such as domestic situations, alarm, advice calls, etc.;
- Enforces local and state laws and issue summonses for parking and traffic violations;
- Works radar and conducts traffic checks;
- Interviews suspects, witnesses and victims regarding crime reported and completes detailed incident reports;
- Obtains and serves warrants, make arrests and testifies in court;
- Maintains various types of records and files such as personal court appearances;
- Conducts crime scene searches, collects and preserves evidence, and submits lab reports;
- Investigates and reports traffic accidents and directs traffic when necessary;
- Assists with criminal investigations, conducts stakeouts, presents evidence, interviews victims and witnesses, performs property and evidence duties;
- Reports unsafe conditions existing in street or other public facilities;
- Prepares detailed reports;
- Responds to animal control calls when animal warden is unavailable.
- Assists at special events such as crowd control at parades, VIP security, etc.;
- Provides public services such as unlocking vehicles and escorts;
- May serve as field training officer and instruct junior officers in proper police procedures, practices and techniques, use of equipment and departmental policy;
- Participates in the tactical response to special threat situations such as terrorism, hostage taking, and natural and man-made disasters or accidents.
- Other duties to provide direct or indirect service to the citizens may be assigned.
- When unusual situations occur and/or the City Manager declares a State of Emergency, all City employees may be required to accept special assignments and perform as needed to ensure appropriate service delivery.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Minimum Education and Experience Required
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or GED required.
Must be a U.S. Citizen
Must be 21 years of age by graduation from the police academy
**Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply and may be eligible for certification pay**
Possession of valid Driver’s License issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia and acceptable driving record according to City criteria;
Must successfully complete IS100 and IS700 National Incident Management (NIMS) training within 90 days of employment. May also be required to complete higher levels of NIMS training as determined appropriate for the position.