A NOPD officer provides protection of life and property within the municipal boundaries of the Parish of Orleans and the City of New Orleans. This is a full time job.
Note: Listed salary ($56,566) includes supplemental pay after first year on the job.
Salary for first 10 months while in police training academy and field training is $40,391.
Immediate hire as Police Aide available for qualified candidates who pass initial background screening.
$56,566 a year
The responsibilities of an NOPD officer include protecting life, preserving the peace, and performing their duties satisfactorily. Including, but not limited to:
• Responding to calls for service and emergency assistance
• Rendering aid to the physically injured
• Investigating safety hazards and taking action to correct potential problem areas
• Enforcing state and city ordinances relating to keeping the peace
• Providing motorized, foot and bicycle patrol to residential and business areas
• Practicing problem solving techniques in support of the department's, community policing and problem solving strategies
• Operating police vehicles in routine and emergency situations
• Participating in job-related training and courses to maintain skills, knowledge and abilities
• Acting without direct supervision and exercising independent discretion in meeting emergencies
• Pursuing and apprehending fleeing suspects (climbing fences or walls, jumping ditches, running up to several blocks, etc.)
• Using firearms and other means of self-defense
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. An applicant must be:
• At least 20 years old
• Licensed to drive with a good driving record and driving experience
• In good physical and psychological condition to perform the essential functions of the job of Police Officer
• Possess a state approved G.E.D./high school diploma