Salary range: $18.95-$30.33 per hour.
Closing Date: 12/31/2023
Performs responsible protective service work involving a variety of general or support duty police assignments; does related work as required. Work is frequently performed under emergency situations and involves considerable personal hazard and danger. Work is performed under regular supervision.
- Enforcing laws; investigating criminal activity; ensuring safety of public; testifying in court; maintaining records and files; preparing reports.
- On an assigned shift, operates a patrol vehicle or walks to observe for violations of traffic laws, suspicious activities or persons and disturbances of law and order;
- Responds to radio dispatches and answers calls and complaints;
- Enforces traffic laws; issues citations for traffic violations;
- Serves warrants and makes arrests, maintains warrant records, testifies in court;
- Provides police escorts, directs traffic; performs residential and commercial checks;
- Fills out arrest records, takes fingerprints and photographs, etc.; performs prisoner security functions; investigates traffic accidents;
- Reports unsafe conditions existing in street or other public facilities;
- Assists with criminal investigations, conducts stakeouts, assists with the installation of surveillance equipment; Interviews victims and witnesses; performs property and evidence duties;
- Provides information to citizens relating to Crime Prevention;
- Prepares detailed reports on activities and assignments;
- Participates in a variety of in-service training programs;
- May be assigned to a specialized unit or task force such as crime prevention, special duty, special operations, technical support or investigation operations;
- Performs related tasks as required.
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school.
- Possession of an appropriate driver’s license valid in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Possession of Police Officer certification.
- Must meet and maintain all department and State training and education requirements for position.