Police Officer ($10,000 Lateral Signing Bonus)
The annual salary range for the Police Officer is $59,985 to $94,017 plus an excellent benefits package. Placement within the range is dependent upon education, experience, and applicable certifications. The City provides the following benefits:
- Vacation: 17 days of paid vacation accrued in first year, increasing to 20 days in year five, 25 days in year ten, and 30 days after fifteen full years of service
- Sick Leave: Leave is accrued at 5.54 hours per pay period for a total of 144 hour allowance per calendar year. Employees may elect to convert a portion of sick days to vacation days based on sick leave use throughout a calendar year.
- Holidays: 14 paid holidays per calendar year
Medical, Dental, & Vision Insurance: The City offers excellent Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance. Employee currently pays $25 per month and receives medical, dental and vision coverage for employee, spouse, and eligible dependents. Medical insurance currently 90/10 plan, with annual deductible of $150 (individual) and $450 (family), annual maximum out of pocket $3,000 (individual), $6,000 (family).
Life Insurance: The City provides a $40,000 ($15,000 with Health Coverage and $25,000 additional) term life insurance policy.
Retirement: The City participates in the California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS). For legacy members the benefit level is 3% @50 with a current employee contribution of 9%. For new members, the benefit level is 2.7% @57 with a current employee contribution of 13%.
Deferred Compensation: Voluntary plans available including IRS Section 125 Flexible Benefit Plan
Miscellaneous: Additional benefits include 7/12 work schedule, uniform allowance, on-site gym, continuing education reimbursement, specialty assignment pay, bi-lingual incentive pay, professional development program, longevity pay, sick leave incentive program, and night differential pay.
POLICE OFFICER INCENTIVES:
Work Week: Employees assigned to patrol will work the 207(k), 7/12 work schedule.
Longevity Pay: 2.5% increase at 7 years of service and an additional 2.5% increase at 10 years of service.
Merit Pay: Upon successful completion of 12 months of service and successful performance review, employees will receive a 5% merit increase. After an employee of this unit has been at the top merit step for 12 months they may, according to merit, be granted an amount of $2,500 annually based on demonstration of truly superior employee performance as evidenced by employee evaluation.
Professional Development Program: The purpose of the Professional Development Program is to increase and maintain high levels of professionalism among Police Officers in order to attain a superior quality of police service for the community. The program is intended to more effectively prepare both new recruits and experienced officers to cope with the changing role of the Police Officer in today’s community through broadening of his/her educational background and exposure. An officer can receive a permanent pay increase of 2.5% to 22.5% respectively, over and above the base pay upon receiving a degree and/or appropriate certificates issued by POST as follows:
- AA/ AS Degree 5%
- BA/BS Degree 7.5%*
- POST Intermediate Certificate 2.5%
- POST Advanced Certificate 5.0%
- POST Supervisor Certificate 2.5%
- Sherman Block Supervisory Leadership Institute Certificate 2.5%
- Bi-Lingual Certificate 2.5%
* Holders of Bachelor’s Degrees are not eligible for Associate Degree Incentive.