Salary: $63,426.06 – $89,536.93 Annually.
The City of Davenport Police Department is seeking highly motivated and ethical individuals, that, under general supervision perform work of moderate difficulty in law enforcement, maintenance of order, protection of life and property, and crime prevention; and perform related work as required.
- Protects life and property and maintains order.
- Patrols assigned areas for the prevention of crime and enforces laws and ordinances of the City of Davenport, State of Iowa, and the United States of America.
- Utilizes problem solving skills, creativity and innovative approaches to identify and resolve community problems/concerns.
- Observes activities and environment, and keeps alert to suspicious occurrences.
- Responds to emergency calls and acts to resolve emergency situations.
- Notes location and type of call; proceeds to scene observing traffic conditions in emergent, urgent and routine responses.
- Takes control of emergency site, directing traffic, securing scene and assisting medical personnel when injuries are involved.
- Monitors traffic conditions and enforces traffic laws: observes driving behavior and measures vehicle speed to detect violations of traffic laws; stops vehicles for traffic violations and issues citations.
- Directs traffic for special events, accidents and detours.
- Writes detailed incident reports utilizing computer to make a record of events, conditions, time and persons involved: makes careful notes of all details important for future reference or prosecution; completes all required documentation and forms.
- Stops fights and attempts to mediate arguments and disputes which threaten violence: physically restrains persons involved in violent attacks; secures vicinity of persons threatening violence to self or others; talks to parties involved in disputes in an attempt to reconcile differences.
- Apprehends and arrests suspects in crimes: takes custody of persons involved in crimes or wanted in connection with criminal activities; physically subdues resistant persons with force necessary to control them. Investigates crime scenes, interrogates suspects, interviews witnesses, secures evidence, and testifies in court.
- 21 years of age at the time of list certification (August 9, 2023).
- High school diploma or GED.
- You must be a United States Citizen at the time of the written examination.
- Applicant must be able to pass an extensive background check and submit to a polygraph test. Must have ability to perform the core functions of the position.
- Uncorrected vision of not less than 20-100 in each eye, corrected to 20-20 in each eye, normal color vision
- Normal hearing.
- Ability to speak clearly and communicate well.
- Ability to develop a facility in operating firearms.
- Ability to operate motor vehicles safely.
- Appointees will be required to adhere to Professional Standards set forth by the Davenport Police Department addressing the display of tattoos. Officers and employees may not appear on duty or in uniform with any visible facial, head, or neck tattoos. No tattoos will be permitted below the wrist with the exception of a single ring tattoo (one per hand). Exceptions may be granted by the Chief of Police.
- Prior to receiving an offer of employment, selected applicants will be required to retake and pass the physical ability test. Failure to complete this will result in disqualification from the process or removal from the certified list.
- Skill in dealing with others in a courteous and fair manner, as well as the ability to enforce laws and ordinances with firmness and tact.
- Bilingual applicants desired.