Lateral Certified Police Officers or POST Certified Candidates
$62,300.00 – $93,499.00 Annually
The City of Sheridan Police Department is currently accepting applications for Police Officer or Lateral Police Officer.
Lateral Police Officer Qualifications:
- STATE CERTIFIED LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER: In order to qualify as a Lateral- Entry officer, you must meet the current hiring standards:
- Colorado Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T) certification or state equivalent.
- Currently employed full time as a police officer by a state, county, or municipal police or sheriff’s department.
• Applicants who are retired or separated as a result of layoff can be considered providing:
- Retired officers or officers separated as a result of layoff must apply within 20 months of separation;
- Must have been in good standing at the time of retirement or layoff, and;
- Must possess a current Colorado POST certification or state equivalent.
TWO YEARS PATROL DUTY: Additionally, all applicants must possess a minimum of two (2) years patrol duty (calls to service/street duty) while employed full time by state, county, municipal police or sheriff’s department. Academy training does not count toward the two-year minimum experience requirement. Experience accumulated as a deputy or officer employed at a correctional facility, college, university, District Attorney’s office, or as a Federal or Military Police Officer is not applicable experience.
Examples of Duties
- Patrols assigned area to deter illegal activities and identify criminal activity in order to preserve the safety and security of individuals, buildings and neighborhoods.
- Responds to dispatch calls and investigates citizen complaints and reports of breaches of the peace including crimes in progress, crimes discovered after the fact, disturbances, and accidents. Performs extra patrol watches in order to maintain high visibility.
- Performs investigations of crimes by: interviewing witnesses, complainants and victims to obtain facts and circumstances of incidents; gathering physical evidence and photographing crime scenes to ensure the proper preservation and collection of evidence for use in court proceedings; and conducting follow-up investigations as needed to obtain additional case information.
- Prepares, processes and transmits reports including: incident reports, non-criminal reports; booking reports; accident reports; witness statements; and traffic citations.
- Apprehends, arrests and detains criminal suspects and law violators to ensure public safety and maintain order. Takes suspects into custody by the reading of rights, booking and transport of individuals to holding and jailing facilities.
- Prepares citations and summonses necessary to charge individuals with violations of ordinances, statutes, and laws including petty, misdemeanor and felonious offenses. Serves warrants and subpoenas.
- Acts as first responder to emergencies rendering medical/first aid/CPR and requesting medical attention when necessary. Responds to emergency calls involving robberies, burglaries, kidnappings, assaults, and homicides.
- Performs traffic surveillance and operates traffic radar/lasers to enforce traffic ordinances and statutes. Investigates traffic accidents and assists motorists in various situations. Directs traffic as needed to ensure safe operations.
- Serves as a witness by testifying in court and providing information and evidence during court proceedings.
- Responds to inquiries and provides information to citizens and visitors of the City of Sheridan including giving of directions, requesting vehicular roadside assistance, and locating lost children.
- Attends periodic training sessions and seminars involving physical training, classroom instruction, field exercises, simulation exercises, investigative methods, rescue methods, and instruction in the use of equipment including: firearms; vehicles; intoxilyzers; tazers and other equipment.
- Participates in community-oriented police functions to educate and promote community relations.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- High school graduate or equivalency.
- Must be 21 years of age by date of hire.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States of America.
- All applicants for a police officer position must have successfully completed a POST certified academy and be POST certified.
- Must possess a valid Colorado Driver License with a clear or acceptable MVR.
- Strong problem-solving, conflict resolution and decision-making skills with the ability to adapt to changing priorities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Effective interpersonal relations.
- Has the ability to speak, hear, understand ordinary speech and meet all the minimum physical, mental and medical standards.
- Applicants must be capable of performing the essential job functions of a police officer.
- No felony convictions or convictions of any crime, which would bar an applicant from possessing a firearm to include, but not limited to sex assault, child abuse or harassment or a person(s) group, race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, age sexual orientation and physical or mental disability.
- Domestic Violence Convictions or deferred judgments involving domestic violence will be disqualified.
- Individuals who have one or more convictions or deferred judgments for a DUI/DWAI offense within 36 months prior to the date of the application.
- Individuals with two or more convictions or a deferred judgment for a DUI/DWAI offense in their lifetime will be disqualified.
- Drug Activity/Drug Use –Individuals who have illegally sold or distributed or manufactured drugs will be disqualified.
- Individuals who have illegally used drugs at least one time within 36 months prior to the date of application, and up to including date of appointment will be disqualified.
- Must be able to pass all requirements of the exam plan including a background check, psychological evaluation, polygraph, physical and drug screen.
- Application Review
- Oral Assessment Board
- Complete detailed background packet and signed background waiver
- Background Investigation
- Drug Screen
- Medical Exam
- Finalist Interview