Salary: $47,242.86 Annually.
Under the direction of a Shift Supervisor, performs a variety of public safety work providing emergency aid, security, and protection to the community’s citizens.
- Patrol assigned area to aid in preventing crime and to enforce Federal, State and Township laws, ordinances, and regulations.
- Observe, report and act upon conditions conducive to crime and danger such as checking buildings for security, assisting other officers on traffic stops and checking suspicious persons and vehicles. Reports traffic hazards and directs traffic flow when necessary.
- Determine the nature of a call, investigates the circumstances, and takes any necessary and prudent actions. such as making arrests and transporting prisoners.
- Aids the public in emergency and non-emergency situations.
- Administers first aid and requests medical service.
- Performs crisis intervention in sensitive situations such as family disputes.
- Provides general information to the public on laws and ordinances.
- Assists persons with complaints and inquiries or directs them to the appropriate authorities.
- Prepare a variety of records and reports, such as reports on arrests, property impounded, MV crashes.
- Performs preliminary investigative assignments on serious crimes. Conducts interviews of victims, witnesses and suspects and progress reports on cases under investigation. Collects and documents evidence and may arrest suspects.
- Appears in court and is available to testify in matters which the officer has knowledge of.
- Maintains proficiency in the use of police related equipment.
- May assist in the training of new officers.
- Checks business and private property for security. Investigates conditions such as open doors, broken windows, vehicles parked in suspicious places.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent supplemented by a two-year community college degree or vocational school training in police science, law enforcement, criminal justice administration, public administration, or a related field.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must possess a valid New Jersey driver’s license without record of suspension or revocation in any State.