Performs general and specialized police work involving the enforcement of laws and ordinances, protecting life and property, detection and arrest of violators, crime prevention, community services or other specialized assignments of comparable responsibility.
• Patrols assigned area of the City, by automobile, motorcycle, on foot or Segway, for the prevention of crime and enforcement of all applicable criminal, traffic, and City Ordinances;
• Pursues offenders by patrol vehicle and on foot, stops offenders, subdues resisting offenders using force where appropriate, including deadly force, and arrests offenders;
• Responds to calls for service involving crimes such as robberies, assaults, homicides, and narcotics violations;
• Responds to general public service calls for civil or societal problems;
• Secures and protects the scene of a crime; makes arrests; books prisoners; determines suspect involvement in other crimes and investigates accordingly;
• Responds to hazardous materials incidents and traffic accidents; investigates traffic accidents; detects impaired drivers; administers first aid; directs traffic and requests medical assistance;
• Prepares reports to accurately document information;
• Participates in problem oriented policing efforts by identifying problem areas, recommending and implementing solutions, and monitoring the results;
• Handles hostage negotiations; performs suicide prevention interventions; transports mentally ill patients; performs surveillance operations;
• Performs a variety of general and specialized criminal investigations involving property and persons crimes; gathers evidence; preserves crime scene; prepares cases for prosecution; interviews persons involved in incidents;
• Writes and executes search warrants;
• Searches persons, places, and things;
• Seizes and impounds property and evidence;
• Transports persons and property;
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
• Must be 21 years of age at the time of entering the Police Academy;
• Valid Driver's / Motorcycle License;
• POST Police Officer Certification; must be obtained after six months of employment
• Must continuously meet all the requirements and standards of POST.
REQUIRED EDUCATION/OR EXPERIENCE:
High School Diploma or GED
PREFERRED EDUCATION/OR EXPERIENCE:
Associate's degree (A.A.) or equivalent from two year-college or technical school; or two to three years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.