The mission of the VA police officer is to serve and protect Veterans, patients, employees, contractors, volunteers, affiliates, visitors, and others who frequent VA facilities. The incumbent serves as a Federal police officer working for the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) performing law enforcement and security duties. VA police officers are a vital part of ensuring a safe and secure environment across the VA Eastern Kansas Health Care System facilities.
Closing Date: 9/30/20
Salary: $45,349 to $58,955 per year
- Applies crowd and riot control, secures a crime scene, gathers and preserves evidence and questions witnesses and principles;
- Completes criminal and administrative reports and correspondence, including court violation notices, incident reports, daily operations journals, and property and evidence records;
- Conducts foot and vehicle patrol activities;
- Provides special protective escort services;
- Conducts surveillance operations to detect unauthorized activities such as drug abuse, drug sales, theft and pilferage;
- Responds to reports of crime, crimes in progress or requests for help; performs
Issues traffic citations and Federal Violation Notices for petty offenses;
- Directs and assists persons to safe areas and takes prompt action to evacuate persons from dangerous situations.
Conditions of Employment
• You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this job
• Subject to a background/suitability investigation
• Designated and/or random drug testing may be required
• May serve a probationary period
• Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
• A complete application package; Resume, Transcripts, etc.
• Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
GS-06 grade level: One year of specialized experience (equivalent to the GS-05 grade level in the federal service); experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities (KSA's) and other characteristics to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled, in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization. Specialized experience includes:
You may qualify based on your experience as described below:
Basic Requirement: Investigation of Fitness: A character investigation may be conducted on applicants selected for employment. The purpose of such an investigation is to secure evidence of the candidate's honesty, integrity, general character, and loyalty to the U. S. Government. Such investigations will be conducted under the security requirements of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. AND
Specialized Experience: Applicants must have completed 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-5. Experience that provided knowledge of a body of basic laws and regulations, law enforcement operations, practices, and techniques and involved responsibility for maintaining order and protecting life and property. Creditable specialized experience:may have been gained in work on a police force; through service as a military police officer; in work providing visitor protection and law enforcement in parks, forests, or other natural resource or recreational environments; in performing criminal investigative duties; or in other work that provided the required knowledge and skills of a law enforcement officer.