Performs general law enforcement work to protect life and property in the City of Reidsville, NC.
SALARY RANGE: $39,590-$59,385
Duties include patrolling the city during an assigned shift in a police car or on foot; preventing, detecting and investigating disturbances and major crime cases; performing traffic control work; apprehending suspects; and executing related assignments. Employees must exercise judgment, initiative and calm control when performing duties. Work involves frequent public contact, which requires tact, firmness and decisiveness. Work is performed in accordance with departmental policy and state and federal law, supplemented with specific directions from superior officers. Employees are subject to the usual hazards of law enforcement work.
- The employee in this position must have a considerable knowledge of state and federal laws, local ordinances and policies of the Police Department.
- Employee must have a working knowledge of law enforcement principles, practices, methods and equipment.
- Some knowledge of scientific crime detection and criminal identification methods and procedures is preferred.
- The employee should possess skill in the use of firearms and other police equipment and in the application of self-defense tactics.
- Must have the ability to act with sound judgment in routine and emergency situations.
- Employee must also have the ability to present effective court testimony and prepare clean and concise activity reports.
- Must possess the ability to build and maintain cooperative and effective public relations with the citizens.
- Applicants must be enrolled in B.L.E.T. or meet the standards set by the North Carolina Criminal Justice Training and Standards Council for certification as a law enforcement officer (B.L.E.T. certified).
Graduation from high school supplemented by courses in police science, or equivalent combination of training and experience. Possession of a valid North Carolina driver’s license. Successful completion of a thorough pre-employment background check, physical exam, psychological exam, drug screen.